stacyo

Default form and form field formatting

I am revising a form (*.dot) All fill in fields have been
formatted with a custom style that specifies Arial, 9pt.
bold. There are three date fields that are set to the
short date format (mm/dd/yy). As you enter the date in the
date field, if you type the long date, the formatting
changes as word converts it to the short date format. It
acts like the style is lost. Is there someway to stop this
without changing the date field to the long date format?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Stacyo,

Sounds like a variation on the following problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;82850
1

I am revising a form (*.dot) All fill in fields have been
formatted with a custom style that specifies Arial, 9pt.
bold. There are three date fields that are set to the
short date format (mm/dd/yy). As you enter the date in the
date field, if you type the long date, the formatting
changes as word converts it to the short date format. It
acts like the style is lost. Is there someway to stop this
without changing the date field to the long date format?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

I am running Windows 5.0, service pack 4. Since my first
post, I have upgraded to Office Professional 2003, and I
am still having the same problem. Does that make sense? I
think that something is messed up in the formatting. The
original version of this form was a *.doc, and was set up
using all point and click formatting. It seems that the
date field started to act goofy when I applied the
customized style. Any other suggestions?
Sounds like a variation on the following problem:

us;82850
1

[...]

.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

I am running Windows 5.0, service pack 4. Since my first
post, I have upgraded to Office Professional 2003, and I
am still having the same problem. Does that make sense? I
think that something is messed up in the formatting. The
original version of this form was a *.doc, and was set up
using all point and click formatting. It seems that the
date field started to act goofy when I applied the
customized style.

The article I quoted in my previous answer applies to Word
2003. If it describes what you're seeing, in general terms
(format applied by a style is being "turned off" when the
field updates) then there's nothing you can do about it
outside the workarounds mentioned in the article.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)