Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chuck Jurgens Chuck Jurgens is offline

Default Fonts changing when merging data

I have data in an Excel 2003 spreadsheet that is formatted in a particular
font (Times 12pt). I am trying to mail merge that data into a Word 2003
letter that has been formatted with the same font (Times 12pt). After the
merge operation the merged data from Excel is in an Ariel 10 pt font and the
rest of the letter is till in Times 12pt.

I have read a former post that says to "add the \* Charformat switch to the
merge fields in the mail merge main document and apply the formatting that
you want to the first character in the mergefield."

I'm having a bad brain day......... Can someone tell me exactly what that
means? I have been merging data for years and have never seen the \*
Charformat switch so I don't know where to find it and I'm not exactly sure
where to put it or how to use it.

TIA

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Press Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of field codes and you will see

{ MERGEFIELD fieldname }

Add \* charformat inside the closing } so that the field becomes

{ MERGEFIELD fieldname \* charformat }

and apply the formatting to the M (or the whole) of MERGEFIELD.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP