Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hezzy Hezzy is offline

Default Headers in a Section

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section above
the one I'm trying to create.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

This happens because the new header is linked to the previous header:

Go to the new section in your document. In Print Layout view, double-click
the header. Does a small text saying €śSame as previous€ť appear above the
header? If this is the case, turn it off by clicking the €śLink to previous€ť
icon in the €śHeader and Footer€ť toolbar (no. 5 command from the right). Now
you should be able to type a header without affecting the header in the
previous section.

If you need section-specific footers too, you must also turn off €śSame as
previous€ť in the footer.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hezzy Hezzy is offline

Thank you soooooooooo much Lene, I have been racking my brain all morning. I
followed your instruction to a "T" and got it straightened out. Thank you
again.
Now can you help me with page numbers. I added a new document which is
section #11. There is a total of 14 pages but my document is only 1 page.
When I try to add the page numbers it automatically goes to 1 of 14.

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I would gladly help you with the page numbers but I do not understand exactly
what your problem is. Could you please explain more clearly:

Do you have a document with only 1 page which should be page no. 14 of 14
or???

--

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hezzy Hezzy is offline

The document system where I work is set up in sections. For example, work
instructions under Contingency Plans consist of 9 different work
instructions. The work instructions make up a total of 14 pages. Some
instructions are 2 pages long, some 3 pages, etc. My new document is just 1
page. My new document is in Section 11. When I try to add the number of
pages (page 1 of 5) it automatically goes to page 1 of 14. I need it to say
page 1 of 1.

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

With the selection in the Section containing the document that you added,
select page numbers from the Insert menu and then click on the Format button
and select the "Continue from previous section" radio button. Then click
on OK and then on CLOSE (Do NOT click on OK in the Page Numbers dialog or it
will insert another set of page numbers.)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

This happens because the new header is linked to the previous header:

Go to the new section in your document. In Print Layout view,
double-click
the header. Does a small text saying "Same as previous" appear above the
header? If this is the case, turn it off by clicking the "Link to
previous"
icon in the "Header and Footer" toolbar (no. 5 command from the right).
Now
you should be able to type a header without affecting the header in the
previous section.

If you need section-specific footers too, you must also turn off "Same as
previous" in the footer.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section
above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to use the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the NUMPAGES field if you
want the number of pages in the section to be displayed rather than the
number of pages in the complete document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I
insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the
section above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hezzy Hezzy is offline

I tried inserting a SECTIONPAGES field but all I got was the number (1). I
need Page 1 of 1.
I'm also trying to copy a section and paste it into a section. I've never
worked with sections before and it's driving me nuts.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You need to use the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the NUMPAGES field if you
want the number of pages in the section to be displayed rather than the
number of pages in the complete document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I
insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the
section above
the one I'm trying to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The field construction that you need is

Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters { } and you use Alt+F9
to toggle off their display.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You need to use the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the NUMPAGES field if
you
want the number of pages in the section to be displayed rather than the
number of pages in the complete document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP