ang

Default Updating Linked Objects

I recently got a new computer, which meant a new install of MS Office, and
ever since, my linked documents in Word automatically update instead of
asking me if I want to update them. Is there any way I can turn this feature
back "on" so it asks me before just updating stuff? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
THANK YOU!!

Jay Freedman

ang wrote:
I recently got a new computer, which meant a new install of MS
Office, and ever since, my linked documents in Word automatically
update instead of asking me if I want to update them. Is there any
way I can turn this feature back "on" so it asks me before just
updating stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU!!

In Tools Options General, uncheck "Update automatic links at open". In
the Print tab of the same dialog, uncheck "Update links" if you don't want
to update when printing.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

ang

I have tried both of these already to no avail. Whenever I open a document
with a linked object it just automatically updates instead of asking me if I
want to update anything. Any other ideas???

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ang wrote:
I recently got a new computer, which meant a new install of MS
Office, and ever since, my linked documents in Word automatically
update instead of asking me if I want to update them. Is there any
way I can turn this feature back "on" so it asks me before just
updating stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU!!

In Tools Options General, uncheck "Update automatic links at open". In
the Print tab of the same dialog, uncheck "Update links" if you don't want
to update when printing.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Beth Melton

What type of links are they? Links to other Word documents?

Also, what version of Word are you using?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

In Tools Options General, uncheck "Update automatic links at
open". In
the Print tab of the same dialog, uncheck "Update links" if you
don't want
to update when printing.

ang

yes they are links to other Word documents. i am using Word 2000. before i
got this new computer, whenever i opened a file with a link it was ask if i
wanted to update the link and it would say give me the option of yes or no.
now it doesn't do anything but automatically update it...

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

In Tools Options General, uncheck "Update automatic links at
open". In
the Print tab of the same dialog, uncheck "Update links" if you
don't want
to update when printing.

Beth Melton

Since you are using Word 2000 I suspect you don't have all of the
patches applied. Due to security concerns the "Word 2000 SR-1 update:
October 16, 2002" changed the behavior of certain Word fields that
would automatically update upon opening the document if the
Tools/Options/General/Automatically update links on Open is turned on.

So what you are encountering is how Word 2000 was originally designed.
You'll need to go to
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...e/default.aspx and update
Word if you want to be prompted when opening a document containing a
LINK field.

If you want more information on how to modify the field security
settings once the patch is applied then take a look at this article:
"More on Word Field Vulnerability"

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word