awa

Default Unable to copy data source to another PC

When trying to open a Word 2003 mail merge document on the second PC, the
Data Link Properties dialog box opens and the database name still specifies
the first user. Browsing to choose a copy on the current PC shows no .mdb
files, but using "all files" the source appears to be there. If I choose this
non-mdb file, the database isn't recognized. Help!
--
awa
Doug Robbins

Did you actually copy the datasource to the other PC?

If all else fails, on the original PC, use the datasource to create a
directory type mailmerge for which you insert the mergefields in the cells
of a one row table in the mailmerge main document then after executing the
merge to a new document, insert a row at the top of the table and enter the
names of the mailmerge fields into the cells of that row. Save that
document and copy it to the other PC and use it as the datasource.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"awa" wrote in message
When trying to open a Word 2003 mail merge document on the second PC, the
Data Link Properties dialog box opens and the database name still
specifies
the first user. Browsing to choose a copy on the current PC shows no .mdb
files, but using "all files" the source appears to be there. If I choose
this
non-mdb file, the database isn't recognized. Help!
--
awa

awa

I tried to copy the datasource file to the second PC, but the file is no
longer identified as .mdb, although the name, etc. appears on the second PC.
Is it possible to copy the file without having to recreate it? It would be
nice to be able to update it without having to create a table each time.

"awa" wrote in message
When trying to open a Word 2003 mail merge document on the second PC, the
Data Link Properties dialog box opens and the database name still
specifies
the first user. Browsing to choose a copy on the current PC shows no .mdb
files, but using "all files" the source appears to be there. If I choose
this
non-mdb file, the database isn't recognized. Help!
--
awa

Doug Robbins

Re-create it as a Word Table using the procedure previously advised then
either use that as the data source (and update it if necessary) or if you
wish, select and copy that table and paste it into Excel and use Excel as
the data source.

I do not have the facilities (second computer) to try and replicate your
problem with copying the .mdb data source.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Did you actually copy the datasource to the other PC?

If all else fails, on the original PC, use the datasource to create a
directory type mailmerge for which you insert the mergefields in the
cells
of a one row table in the mailmerge main document then after executing
the
merge to a new document, insert a row at the top of the table and enter
the
names of the mailmerge fields into the cells of that row. Save that
document and copy it to the other PC and use it as the datasource.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP