Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
dick provo0st

Default Word 2003 does not link with Excel'97 document

For my clients i made a Word-document (.rtf) that links to an
excel-file (.xls). The documents link fine (and automatically) under
Windows'98/Word'97/Excel'97 and WindowsXP/Word 2002/Excel 2002. Both
files are saved formatted as Word'97 (as .rtf) and Excel'97.

One of my clients installed Office 2003, now the links do not update
anymore. The client gets a message "Do you want to link?", he answers
"Yes" and gets the message that links cannot be found. Both documents
are in the same map on drive c: en the links are "hard coded" to the
name of the document in that map en the cells in the .xls-file.

The excel-file has some macro's that execute when the document opens.
I tested it using middle en low security for macro's in Excel (the
macro's are not 'trustworthy signed' yet) with the programs above.

First i had problems with the size of the excel-objects in the
word-file (to large), after i reduced the size in excel (8 points
Arial)

The links between de Word and the Excel-file where made as follows:

- i opened the word-document
- i opened the excel-document
- i selected in excel the range with the data and chose for "Copy"
- In Word i chose "Paste Special", "Paste Link" and "Excel-object"

I did this for al the 158 ranges i needed in the Word-document.
When i view the 158 links in Word 2002 (menu Edit/Links). I find that
all the links pointing to the right map, file and range. The links
should automatically update.

The same word-document is used to link with the quartely changing
excel-file in order to get a quarterly report.