Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
justagrunt justagrunt is offline

Default DOCPROPERTY in letter header can this be merged?

If I create a DOCPROPERTY in a header of a letter I get "Error bookmark
undefined"
How can I merge a feild into the header so that it can be used over and over
as a template.
--
Regards
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Bill,

DOCPROPERTY fields need to be given a valid parameter to work. You can see the list of valid parameters if you insert one via
Insert|Field and click on the 'options' tab.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"justagrunt" wrote in message ...
| If I create a DOCPROPERTY in a header of a letter I get "Error bookmark
| undefined"
| How can I merge a feild into the header so that it can be used over and over
| as a template.
| --
| Regards
| Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
justagrunt justagrunt is offline

Thanks,
If this is a custom property that I have created for a mail merge, the field
name is in the custom properties and the information is taken from an access
table.
I give it the parameter {DOCPROPERTY "QuoteRef" \* MERGEFORMAT} The
"QuoteRef" is also used elsewhere in the letter and populates OK.
Do I have a possible problem with it being in the Header?
Is there any reason that the Custom Property will not work in a Header?
Is there a correct way to get a mail merge field into the header?
--
Regards
Bill

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Bill,

DOCPROPERTY fields need to be given a valid parameter to work. You can see the list of valid parameters if you insert one via
Insert|Field and click on the 'options' tab.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"justagrunt" wrote in message ...
| If I create a DOCPROPERTY in a header of a letter I get "Error bookmark
| undefined"
| How can I merge a feild into the header so that it can be used over and over
| as a template.
| --
| Regards
| Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use a DOCVARIABLE field and set a document variable using the data from
Access.

While some people say that DOCVARIABLE fields will cause problems in
headers, my experience is exactly the opposite and I believe that it is
DOCPROPERTY fields that have the problems.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Bill,

DOCPROPERTY fields need to be given a valid parameter to work. You can
see the list of valid parameters if you insert one via
Insert|Field and click on the 'options' tab.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"justagrunt" wrote in message
| If I create a DOCPROPERTY in a header of a letter I get "Error bookmark
| undefined"
| How can I merge a feild into the header so that it can be used over and
over
| as a template.
| --
| Regards
| Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

FWIW there was undoubtedly an error with DOCVARIABLE fields in the original
version of Word 97 (the first version of Windows Word with the DOCVARIABLE
field, as it happens) but it was fixed in an update (see e.g.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168923 )

I have also encountered problems with DOCPROPERTY fields: "linked"
properties are certainly to be avoided, and ISTR problems with "date" type
properties - probably to do with the date format, locales etc. I wouldn't
personally use any property type other than "text", which I've used
extensively with DOCPROPERTY fields for a long time without problems.
Probably forgotten the teething troubles now though:-)

Peter Jamieson