Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wordspinster wordspinster is offline

Default 2007 Numbering Advice

After reading about changes to 2007's automatic numbering feature, I've
decided to give it a try out, and would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Prior to 2007, I've defined List Number styles for my documents, and kept
the Automatic Numbering feature turned off. I used Body Text for other
paragraphs.

Now I have turned the Automatic Numbering feature back on, and will be
creating lists on the Body Text style.

Is this a sane approach? Should I go down a different path? Opinions and
document references are most welcome.

janet
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The best way to control numbering in Word 2007 is to apply it using styles;
that way, there is no difference compared to Word 97-2003.

The safest way is probably to create a list style and link each numbering
level to a paragraph style. On the Home ribbon tab, click Multilevel List,
and then click Define New List Style. Type a name for the list style. Then
click the Format button, and click Numbering. This presents a dialog box
similar to the one found in previous versions. For more about the dialog
box, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"wordspinster" wrote in message
After reading about changes to 2007's automatic numbering feature, I've
decided to give it a try out, and would appreciate any advice you can
offer.

Prior to 2007, I've defined List Number styles for my documents, and kept
the Automatic Numbering feature turned off. I used Body Text for other
paragraphs.

Now I have turned the Automatic Numbering feature back on, and will be
creating lists on the Body Text style.

Is this a sane approach? Should I go down a different path? Opinions and
document references are most welcome.

janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wordspinster wordspinster is offline

Thanks Stefan. According to Shauna's article, I will set indents when I set
the numbering style, but none of that seems to be available in 2007. It's not
available in the Define New Number Format either. And the Reset button has
disappeared. Have these options been moved?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The best way to control numbering in Word 2007 is to apply it using styles;
that way, there is no difference compared to Word 97-2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Click the More button in order to see all the options for text and number
position.

The new interface has no Reset button, because the default numbering schemes
are always available from the Multilevel List button (under the List Library
heading).