Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Outlook Convert Outlook Convert is offline

Default Page Numbers in Word 2003

I have a document that is 10 pages. The first page will be my title/cover
page; I do not want page numbering to be included on this page since it's the
title page, so I go into File == Page Setup == Layout tab and check off the
"Different First Page" checkbox. Hope this part doesn't sound too confusing,
but I want the second page of the document (page following the title/cover
page) to start as "Page 1 of 9". I inserted a "Next Page" section break
between the title/cover page and the second page of the document. I clicked
on the "Same as previous" icon in the header/footer toolbar and I clicked on
the "Format Page Number" icon on the header/footer toolbar and set the
numbering to start at "1". When I click the "Insert Page Number" icon on the
header/footer toolbar while I'm on the second page of the document , a "1" is
inserted which is exactly what I want. However, when I click on the "Insert
Number of Pages" icon a "10" is inserted because it's including the
title/cover page in the count. This is how I want my footer to appear in my
document: Page 1 of 9, Page 2 of 9, Page 3 of 9, etc. and not Page 1 of 10,
Page 2 of 10, etc. Does anyone know how to set up the headers and footers
this way? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alt+F9 to display field codes and change NumPages to SectionPages. Note,
however, that if you already have a section break and have unlinked the
sections, you don't need "Different first page" in Section 1; in fact, if
it's enabled in Section 2, it will double your work because you'll have to
insert the page number in the First Page Footer as well as the Footer.

"Outlook Convert" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Outlook Convert Outlook Convert is offline

A million "thank yous" Suzanne!!! I've been racking my brains for the last
couple of months trying to figure this out.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help. For your general education, you might want to look at
these articles:

Making the most of headers and footers
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

How to control the page numbering in a Word document
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

How to set up a document with front matter numbered separately
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"Outlook Convert" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Alt+F9 to display field codes and change NumPages to SectionPages. Note,
however, that if you already have a section break and have unlinked the
sections, you don't need "Different first page" in Section 1; in fact,

if
it's enabled in Section 2, it will double your work because you'll have

insert the page number in the First Page Footer as well as the Footer.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Outlook Convert" wrote in
message ...