Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Hole Alex Hole Alex is offline

Default word table convert to excel problem with data converstion

Hi,
Ive got a new massive mailing list that Ive just inherited (well over 200
MS word pages).
Im finding it really difficult to manipulate this amount of data in word.
I know the idea would be to put in access but i don't have the licence, so
excel it is.

The problems are caused by the address column. Because the document wasn't
set up correctly it doesn't have separate address line fields.

Its just one block of text, where each line of the address is on a
different line of that cell.
When I convert the table to text using a delimited field (so I can import it
in excel) it works fine but excel recognises each of the address lines as a
separate row, where as I would like them to be in one cell and then each
record has its own row.

Im basically left with a system that has just been fudged and now Im
trying to sort it out without re entering all of the data.

Any ideas will be gratefully received. If anyone needs any further
information then just let me know.

Many thanks for your help on this in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

One possible line of attack:

1. Use Find and Replace to replace paragraph or line breaks (whichever are
used in the multiline cells) with a tab character (^t).

2. Use Table | Convert | Table to Text, separating with tabs.

3. Use Table | Convert | Text to Table, separating at tabs.

That operation will get the separate lines into separate columns. If the
addresses have varying numbers of lines, the situation becomes more complex,
however, since corresponding bits will be in different columns (for example,
if there's no company name, then the street address might end up in the
Company Name column).

Another possible approach would be to replace the line or paragraph breaks
with something like @@, then copy/paste into Excel. After merging from
Excel, use F&R to replace @@ with ^l or ^p as needed.

The really frustrating thing is that you can insert a line break in Excel
with Alt+Enter, but Excel's F&R doesn't provide any way (that I know of) to
find or insert these breaks (or any other special characters).

"Hole Alex" Hole wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Hole Alex[_2_] Hole Alex[_2_] is offline

thanks for that it does work,
just feels like i'm doing it a long way round.
never mind, we've got it to work. thanks for your help.
Alex