Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
napalegal napalegal is offline

Default How do I save the data form for merge documents?

I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for 3 sets of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm having to
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the data form to
my client file and edit and use it over again.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It isn't completely obvious what has happened, but my guess is that
a. you used to use Word 2000 or Word 97
b. your data documents were in Word format (in a table in a Word document)
c. you have moved to Word 2002 or 2003
d. when you create a new mail merge main document and try to connect to the
data source, you can't find/recognise the data source you created before.

When you entered your data for your first mail merge document, do you
remember saving it? In Word 2002/2003 it is saved in Microsoft Access ".mdb"
format: to save it in any other format, you have to work a bit harder. You
don't have to have Access to use these .mdb files.

Once you have saved your data source, you can re-use it by checking the "Use
an existing list" option in step 3 of the Mail Merge Wizard, then finding
the .mdb you saved. If file extensions such s ".mdb" qaren't displayed on
your system, look for an "Access" icon (it has a key on it) next to the
file name instead of the Word ("W") icon you are probably used to seeing.

If that isn't the problem, please can you tell us
a. which version of Word you are using
b. what you are actually trying to do
c. what has changed since it used to work.

Peter Jamieson
"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for 3 sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm having to
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the data form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
napalegal napalegal is offline

Yes, I used to have Word 2000, now I have 2003. I never see an option to
save the data form (I used to see View Source, Save As, and save it in my
client file as a Word doc.) I also do not get a choice to Use an Existing
List, only a Different List. Thank you for your help.

"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for 3 sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm having to
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the data form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

One way you can go is to revive the old "Mail Merge Helper" - see the bottom
of Graham Mayor's age at

I also do not get a choice to Use an Existing
List, only a Different List.

Are you seeing Step 3 of 6 in the Word Mail Merge Wizard task pane, with
choices "Use an existing list", "Select from Contacts," or "Type a New
List"?

Or maybe you have Works Suite, where everything works a bit differently?

Peter Jamieson

"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for 3
sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm having
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the data
form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
napalegal napalegal is offline

Thanks, I did revive the old Mail Merge Helper. The new mail merge system
just doesn't work the same for legal documents.

"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for 3
sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm having
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the data
form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It would help us pinpoint the problem that you are having if you could
answer Peter's question and explain a bit more on what you mean by "legal
documents"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for
3
sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm
having
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the
data
form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Morisot Morisot is offline

Hi, Doug and Peter -

His problem is my problem too!

In the older Words you could set up your variables to sort and filter for
your merge (in Mail Merge Helper). Save it. When you open that file again,
you could just change one or two parameters and run the merge. Now, you have
to re-enter all the variables to sort and filter every time you open the
file. (And, even to get that functionality it seems one must pull Mail Merge
Helper out of "All Commands" to get it onto the Mail Merge toolbar.)

Funny thing is, my Publisher 2003 merge files still retain this capability
(but I can't pull through all the pages and collect all my data like I can
with a Word merge.)

Morisot

"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form for
3
sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm
having
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the
data
form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes, Word has become very bad at retaining information about filter
parameters.

If you revert to connecting via DDE (check Word
Tools|Options|general|"Confirm conversions at open" and reconnect to your
data source. the overall effect is more likely to be like the one you used
to have.

Peter Jamieson

"napalegal" wrote in message
I'm preparing legal documents where I need to use the data form
for
3
sets
of
docs, but after the first one the data form disappears and I'm
having
start over for each set of forms. I used to be able to save the
data
form
my client file and edit and use it over again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Morisot Morisot is offline

Hi, Peter -

Thank you. A little awkward at first -- but it does work. And it is going to
save me so much time now.

Thanks, again.

M.