Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
billybob

Default Page number bg

Windows XP, Word 2002

I just noticed that my page numbers have a small square bg. What could Have
I done to cause that? I would like for it to be back to transparent bg.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier

When you insert page numbers using the Insert menu, the numbers are
inserted inside of a text box. I would delete the text box, and use
the Header and Footer toolbar to add page numbers.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"billybob" wrote in message
Windows XP, Word 2002

I just noticed that my page numbers have a small square bg. What
could Have
I done to cause that? I would like for it to be back to transparent
bg.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

1. If you used Insert | Page Numbers to insert your page number, they're in
a frame, and when you click on them, perhaps you're seeing the frame border.
For one reason why it's better not to insert page numbers this way, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

2. If the "square background" is grey, then you're seeing field shading (a
page number is a field). You can control when field shading is displayed on
the View tab of Tools | Options.

"billybob" wrote in message
Windows XP, Word 2002

I just noticed that my page numbers have a small square bg. What could

Have
I done to cause that? I would like for it to be back to transparent bg.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
billybob

Thank you both so much, Dawn and Suzanne! It was the View tab, Highlighting
problem...and yes, I should use the Header and Footer to insert page
numbers. It's much safer, huh?