Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
diamonddave1569

Default Word Templates

What is the best template for generating a standard operating procedure
manual that will cover both the way we conduct our business and expectations
of our employees
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuck Davis

"diamonddave1569" wrote in
message ...
What is the best template for generating a standard operating procedure
manual that will cover both the way we conduct our business and
expectations
of our employees

Google: word templates

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I am working on a policy manual for my employer. Use Google to find other
online policy manuals. Find a format you like. Base yours on that one. The
sad truth is that you'll spend more time finding a nice layout than most
employees will spend reading the manual. Search for manuals for companies in
the same general field as your employer. I work for a network of 6 doctors
offices. I checked out hospitals and doctors/dentist practices. Picked up a
few things on some HR websites but most want to charge you. Too much free
stuff to pay for anything.

As for the expectations of the employees - they want rules that apply to
others but not themselves.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message

"diamonddave1569" wrote in
message ...
What is the best template for generating a standard operating procedure
manual that will cover both the way we conduct our business and
expectations
of our employees

Google: word templates

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Glynn

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:
I am working on a policy manual for my employer. Use Google to find other
online policy manuals. Find a format you like. Base yours on that one. The
sad truth is that you'll spend more time finding a nice layout than most
employees will spend reading the manual. Search for manuals for companies in
the same general field as your employer. I work for a network of 6 doctors
offices. I checked out hospitals and doctors/dentist practices. Picked up a
few things on some HR websites but most want to charge you. Too much free
stuff to pay for anything.

As for the expectations of the employees - they want rules that apply to
others but not themselves.

It's axiomatic, though, among people who work in workflow automation,
that the developer, having looked at the manual, should then go and ask
the employees what they *actually* do in particular situations.
Neglecting this step almost certainly guarantees that you'll build
impossible requirements into the process, since you'll always find that
the employees tell you that 'we follow the manual except in
such-and-such circumstances, because then it wouldn't work, and then we
do *this*'.

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

We've actually done that. I have the marked up manuals from the 6 practice
coordinators and 4 of the 18 doctors. The doctors don't care about the
day-to-day procedures. The coordinators all do things the way they did
before that location was purchased by our practice. Management tells me we
are going to do things in a consistent fashion - write a policy for that
fashion. Um, sure. Oh - and you need to include the forms and templates
they'll use. No, we don't have them yet. And did I mention it was due to the
CEO for review three days ago? She didn't get it, for a multitude of
reasons.

That only applies to some things tho. No smoking on company property means
one thing. No noserings means one thing. Show up on time and leave on time
means one thing. Those policies are easy.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]