Daran

Default Go to Page x

I am producing a technical manual that has many page
references throughout the text. Does anyone know of a way
that I can have these automatically update if I happen to
change the whereabouts of the text that is referenced.

Unless the page already contains an element that is automatically bookmarked
(heading, numbered item), insert a bookmark at the point you want to
reference. Then Insert | Cross-reference to Bookmark: Page number.
Cross-references don't update automatically, but they will update when you
update fields (including when you print, provided you have "Update fields"
checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options).

"Daran" wrote in message
I am producing a technical manual that has many page
references throughout the text. Does anyone know of a way
that I can have these automatically update if I happen to
change the whereabouts of the text that is referenced.

tjtjjtjt

Set a Bookmark at the location you want to refer back to. You can do this by:
Clicking at that spot and choosing Insert | Bookmark. Type a name that
contains no spaces.
Then, in the place where the reference will be:
Insert | Reference | Cross Reference
**Note: If you are using Word 2000 or earlier, the Cross Reference option
may be in a slightly different place.
Choose Bookmark, click on the Bookmark you want to the cross reference to
refer to, and then make sure it is referring to the page number of the
bookmark.

You will be able to update any page changes by selecting the whole document
(with Edit | Select All, for example), and then pressing the [F9] key.

tj

"Daran" wrote:

I am producing a technical manual that has many page
references throughout the text. Does anyone know of a way
that I can have these automatically update if I happen to
change the whereabouts of the text that is referenced.

Daran

Many Thanks