Gerard Green

Default Fonts displaying incorrectly

I have inserted symbols into a paragraph in older versions of Word and
printed them out successfully. I am now using XP and the symbols are
displaying incorrectly. Interestingly, the online web layout shows the
symbols correctly, but all other views, and prints, show rubbish where the
special symbols have been inserted. All the necessary true type fonts are
installed on the new system.

I have over 800 files with these symbols inserted. Is there any way I can
reasonably easily get them back without re-inserting the symbols?

Does anyone know why the online web layout displays the symbols correctly?

Why does this display show the correct symbols and not the normal layout?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards.

Gerard Green

tweedepoging

Gerard Green shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I have inserted symbols into a paragraph in older versions of Word and
printed them out successfully. I am now using XP and the symbols are
displaying incorrectly. Interestingly, the online web layout shows the
symbols correctly, but all other views, and prints, show rubbish
where the special symbols have been inserted. All the necessary true
type fonts are installed on the new system.

I have over 800 files with these symbols inserted. Is there any way I
can reasonably easily get them back without re-inserting the symbols?

Does anyone know why the online web layout displays the symbols
correctly?

Why does this display show the correct symbols and not the normal
layout?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards.

Gerard Green

This could be a problem with your printer drivers. Try changing a few
settings and see what happens. Sometimes there is something called
"print truetype as bitmap", sometimes you have to use a postscript (PS)
and not a PCL driver and sometimes (with laser printers) the printer
replaces fonts with its own fonts.

But it all depends on the brand and model of your printer.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Gerard,

If the problem is only with the display, check the manufacturer's website
for an updated driver for your graphics card.

I have inserted symbols into a paragraph in older versions of Word and
printed them out successfully. I am now using XP and the symbols are
displaying incorrectly. Interestingly, the online web layout shows the
symbols correctly, but all other views, and prints, show rubbish where the
special symbols have been inserted. All the necessary true type fonts are
installed on the new system.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org