Dan Schaffer

Default Strange formatting of text not highlighted

Hi,

I use MS Word 2002, running in Win XP Pro, SP1.

Recently, I wanted to underline the first sentence in a document, and only
that sentence. I highlighted and pressed the "U" button on the formatting
toolbar. The sentence was underlined, but so was everything else in the
document. I clicked the "U" button again, and all the underlining
disappeared, including the underlining I wanted.

I had the same experience when I decided to center the title of the
document. I highlighted it, pressed the buttion for "center", and the whole
document became centered.

Is this something that's meant to happen in Word 2002? Apparantly not,
because the Help files say that only the highlighted words should change
when one presses a formatting button. It's certainly different from the way
previous version of Word have worked. How can I underline or center just one
line?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

sf

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:59:17 -0500, "Dan Schaffer"
wrote:

[...]

Did you try Detect and Repair?
sf

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:59:01 -0800, "tjtjjtjt"
wrote:

This article may shed some light on the issue.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

I had something weird happen to me today. I copy & pasted
text from the internet and wanted to bullet several items,
but they didn't bullet - the preceding paragraph was
bulleted instead. ??? That has never happened to me before
and I didn't know how to fix it so I decided I didn't need
the items bulleted.

So, other than pasting it into notepad and stripping off all
formatting, what could I have done? The above article does
not apply because the auto-update option isn't checked.

Dan Schaffer

I'm embarassed to say that I don't even know what Detect and Repair is.
I'll look it up in Word 2002 help.

Thanks for the tip.

Dan

wrote:

[...]

Dan Schaffer

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, and the solution worked perfectly.

Dan S

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You'll find it on the Help menu, but it doesn't matter because it is *not*
the solution to your problem, which has been offered twice already.

so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Formatting of Text in Chart KSBMW2040 Microsoft Word Help 1 January 18th 05 11:06 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
eliminating tick marks and formatting selected text r frank Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 04 02:05 PM
When I change text formatting, the entire document is changed mikem Microsoft Word Help 3 December 10th 04 05:07 PM
User-applied formatting of text field contents? Ed Kennedy Tables 1 December 3rd 04 05:44 PM