Tom Duprex

Default Swap characters shortcut?

Is there a shortcut in Word 2002 to swap two characters?

For example, I typed "form" instead of "from". If I highligted/selected
the "or" in the word "form" is there a shortcut to swap the two
letters?
Sam Hobbs

There probably is not, but I don't know for sure. I have seen such things in
other editors. I think the Microsoft people don't have whatever it is that
we have. I assume it would easy to write a macro and assign it to a
keystroke, but I have not done that for Word.

I know that I usually type "mena" when I mena "mean". It is interesting how
consistent I am about that.

"Tom Duprex" tduprex@gtcinternet[dot]com wrote in message
Is there a shortcut in Word 2002 to swap two characters?

For example, I typed "form" instead of "from". If I highligted/selected
the "or" in the word "form" is there a shortcut to swap the two
letters?

If you consistently type "mena" for "mean," it is a good candidate for an
AutoCorrect entry. Next time you do it, instead of correcting it manually or
right-clicking and selecting the correct spelling from the shortcut menu,
instead select AutoCorrect and then the correct spelling.

"Sam Hobbs" wrote in message
There probably is not, but I don't know for sure. I have seen such things

in
other editors. I think the Microsoft people don't have whatever it is that
we have. I assume it would easy to write a macro and assign it to a
keystroke, but I have not done that for Word.

I know that I usually type "mena" when I mena "mean". It is interesting

how
consistent I am about that.

"Tom Duprex" tduprex@gtcinternet[dot]com wrote in message
Is there a shortcut in Word 2002 to swap two characters?

For example, I typed "form" instead of "from". If I highligted/selected
the "or" in the word "form" is there a shortcut to swap the two
letters?

Beth Melton

Yes, if you have 'or' selected then press 'ro' on the keyboard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Tom Duprex" tduprex@gtcinternet[dot]com wrote in message
Is there a shortcut in Word 2002 to swap two characters?

For example, I typed "form" instead of "from". If I
highligted/selected
the "or" in the word "form" is there a shortcut to swap the two
letters?

Sam Hobbs

However "Mena" is also a name, such as "Mena Suvari" (actress). Is that a
potential problem?

What about all the other possible transpositions? Do I need to specify each
one also in order to AutoCorrect?

I am not Tom, who asked the question, but for me, it would help to have the
feature that he described. If there is not such a feature in Word, then it
helps to know that there is not, so that we know to look for other
solutions, such as AutoCorrect.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you consistently type "mena" for "mean," it is a good candidate for an
AutoCorrect entry. Next time you do it, instead of correcting it manually
or
right-clicking and selecting the correct spelling from the shortcut menu,
instead select AutoCorrect and then the correct spelling.

so
all may benefit.

"Sam Hobbs" wrote in message
There probably is not, but I don't know for sure. I have seen such things

in
other editors. I think the Microsoft people don't have whatever it is
that
we have. I assume it would easy to write a macro and assign it to a
keystroke, but I have not done that for Word.

I know that I usually type "mena" when I mena "mean". It is interesting

how
consistent I am about that.

"Tom Duprex" tduprex@gtcinternet[dot]com wrote in message
Is there a shortcut in Word 2002 to swap two characters?

For example, I typed "form" instead of "from". If I highligted/selected
the "or" in the word "form" is there a shortcut to swap the two
letters?

This sort of swapping function is obviously much desired. I remember that
one of the first Word "tricks" books I ever acquired had a WordBasic macro
to do just this. It's really sort of a show-off technique that for most
users is not that useful: selecting two reversed characters and running a
macro, even using a keyboard shortcut, requires about as much keyboarding as
selecting the characters and retyping them correctly. AutoCorrect entries to
deal with your most common errors, however, do make sense.

"Sam Hobbs" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Sam Hobbs" wrote in

message
There probably is not, but I don't know for sure. I have seen such

things
in
other editors. I think the Microsoft people don't have whatever it is
that
we have. I assume it would easy to write a macro and assign it to a
keystroke, but I have not done that for Word.

I know that I usually type "mena" when I mena "mean". It is interesting

how
consistent I am about that.

"Tom Duprex" tduprex@gtcinternet[dot]com wrote in message
Is there a shortcut in Word 2002 to swap two characters?

For example, I typed "form" instead of "from". If I

highligted/selected
the "or" in the word "form" is there a shortcut to swap the two
letters?

Klaus Linke

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This sort of swapping function is obviously much desired.
I remember that one of the first Word "tricks" books I ever
acquired had a WordBasic macro to do just this. It's really
sort of a show-off technique that for most users is not that
useful: selecting two reversed characters and running a
macro, even using a keyboard shortcut, requires about as
much keyboarding as selecting the characters and retyping
them correctly. AutoCorrect entries to deal with your most
common errors, however, do make sense.

If you want a macro anyway, see below.

It works if you first:
-- select both characters to swap,
-- select the first character,
-- or put the cursor between the characters to swap...
and then run the macro.

Else, it gives an error message and does nothing.

For help with macros, how to put them on keyboard shortcuts, and so on:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

Regards,
Klaus

Sub Swap()
Select Case (Selection.End - Selection.Start)
Case 0
MsgBox "0"
Selection.MoveStart _
Unit:=wdCharacter, _