Mabers

Default Word in Works/Word in Office???

I have a new computer...XP...have a 2 month trial of
Microsoft Office which includes Word. I have a permanent
installation of Works which also contains Word. The other
day I made up some labels on the Office Word and they were
perfect....made up some more today on the Works Word and
they printed half off the label. It took me a long time to
figure what I had done differently.
I don't want to have to purchase Office.....1) why are the
two Words different? and 2) How can I get my labels to
print properly on the Works Word?

Since the most recent version of Word available in Works Suite is Word 2002,
and since a new Office install would be Office 2003, you are in fact using
two different versions of Word. But that would not necessarily explain the
difference in label layout.

"Mabers" wrote in message
I have a new computer...XP...have a 2 month trial of
Microsoft Office which includes Word. I have a permanent
installation of Works which also contains Word. The other
day I made up some labels on the Office Word and they were
perfect....made up some more today on the Works Word and
they printed half off the label. It took me a long time to
figure what I had done differently.
I don't want to have to purchase Office.....1) why are the
two Words different? and 2) How can I get my labels to
print properly on the Works Word?

Mabers

O.K. That sounds reasonable.....but....I have just worked
over 1/2 hour messing with the labels setup in Works Word,
and I cannot fix the problem. All the margin measurements
appear to be the same in both Works and Office. Any ideas?

Since the most recent version of Word available in Works

Suite is Word 2002,
and since a new Office install would be Office 2003, you

are in fact using
two different versions of Word. But that would not

necessarily explain the
difference in label layout.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mabers" wrote in

message
I have a new computer...XP...have a 2 month trial of
Microsoft Office which includes Word. I have a permanent
installation of Works which also contains Word. The

other
day I made up some labels on the Office Word and they

were
perfect....made up some more today on the Works Word and
they printed half off the label. It took me a long time

figure what I had done differently.
I don't want to have to purchase Office.....1) why are

the
two Words different? and 2) How can I get my labels to
print properly on the Works Word?

.

sf

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:22:29 -0800, "Mabers"
wrote:

O.K. That sounds reasonable.....but....I have just worked
over 1/2 hour messing with the labels setup in Works Word,
and I cannot fix the problem. All the margin measurements
appear to be the same in both Works and Office. Any ideas?

I always end up fighting with Word over labels too and IMO
it's just not worth the trouble. I use Avery products, so
it's much easier (for me) to use the Avery Wizard.
http://www.avery.com/us/software/index.jsp
mabers

Hmmmmm.....I thought that might be an option so downloaded
the software and it downloaded into Word in Office!!!!
So.....I was no better off. Now what?

wrote:

O.K. That sounds reasonable.....but....I have just

worked
over 1/2 hour messing with the labels setup in Works

Word,
and I cannot fix the problem. All the margin

measurements
appear to be the same in both Works and Office. Any

ideas?

I always end up fighting with Word over labels too and IMO
it's just not worth the trouble. I use Avery products, so
it's much easier (for me) to use the Avery Wizard.
http://www.avery.com/us/software/index.jsp
.

Graham Mayor

The most likely explanation for your original problem - the Avery wizard is
an answer to a question you haven't asked - is that the page setup paper
size does not match the printer driver paper size. Ensure also that there is
no zoom setting in the print options.

It is also entirely likely that you will have a different version of
normal.dot for each of the Word versions. If normal.dot has a header (even
an empty one), it will throw out the alignment of the labels by the height
of the header. You can check this by temporarily renaming normal.dot to
oldnormal.dot. Word will recereate a new default version.

Locate it from tools options file locations usedr templates. Note that
it is a hidden file so you will need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden
files in order to see it. (tools folder options view in that
application)

wrote:

O.K. That sounds reasonable.....but....I have just worked
over 1/2 hour messing with the labels setup in Works Word,
and I cannot fix the problem. All the margin measurements
appear to be the same in both Works and Office. Any ideas?

I always end up fighting with Word over labels too and IMO
it's just not worth the trouble. I use Avery products, so
it's much easier (for me) to use the Avery Wizard.
http://www.avery.com/us/software/index.jsp
.

Thanks....but....I am having trouble with the
instructions! (That's on me, not you!)
1)Paper size in printer driver is 8.5 x 11 and in
both 'Words' it is 4.25 x 5, the size of the #2160 labels.
2) Zoom setting is 100% in both 'Words'. (????)
3)What question did I not ask?
4)In Word 2002 (the one in Works) Tools...Options...does
not show a File Locations option. In Word 2003 (the one in
Office), it does.....navigated to User templates....Avery,
and I'm lost after that. Because I downloaded Avery
Wizard, has it taken over from the microsoft templates in
Word 2003 (where it downloaded to)?????
Boy, am I confused!!!!