OHM \( Terry Burns \)

Default Characters allow in the title

As we all know the title property of the document can be used as a default
file save name, however, I have found that it will accept characters like _
or : in the title, but will ignore anything after those.

Does anyone know of an escape sequance which can be used to make word
interpret these as literals. Backslash does not work.

Hey ho the nuances of word have me baffled again. !

--
OHM ( Terry Burns ) * Use the following to email me *

Dim ch() As Char = "ufssz/cvsotAhsfbuTpmvujpotXjui/OFU".ToCharArray()
For i As Int32 = 0 To ch.Length - 1
ch(i) = Convert.ToChar(Convert.ToInt16(ch(i)) - 1)
Next
Process.Start("mailto:" & New String(ch))

JBNewsGroup

Hi Terry,

You did not say which operating system you are on, but start with reading:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_fil_rbrx.asp

You could also go to www.microsoft.com and type "file names" into the search
box. Some of the results are extraneous but should give you a starting
point. Below is the address for the above search results:

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...2file+Names%22

Jerry Bodoff

_
or : in the title, but will ignore anything after those.

Does anyone know of an escape sequance which can be used to make word
interpret these as literals. Backslash does not work.

Hey ho the nuances of word have me baffled again. !

--
OHM ( Terry Burns ) * Use the following to email me *

Dim ch() As Char = "ufssz/cvsotAhsfbuTpmvujpotXjui/OFU".ToCharArray()
For i As Int32 = 0 To ch.Length - 1
ch(i) = Convert.ToChar(Convert.ToInt16(ch(i)) - 1)
Next
Process.Start("mailto:" & New String(ch))

OHM \( Terry Burns \)

HI Jeff,

Fair point I could have stated the operating system (XP) but the point is
not if the characters are valid or not, simply that only Alpha Numerics are
allowed Despite the legal characters such as an underscore cause the
filename taken from the title field to break.

So for example, title = My_FileName

When saving the new document, the Save Dialog box contains 'My'

Whereas 'My Filename' works

See my dilema now ?

--

"JBNewsGroup" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

The default filename truncates at punctuation or other non-alphanumeric
characters. Always has. It doesn't matter if the characters are legal for
filenames. Don't know of a fix. A workaround would involve a macro that
intercepts the Save command (and other methods of getting the SaveAs dialog)
and actually puts the Title property contents into the suggested name.
[...]

OHM \( Terry Burns \)

Thanks Charles,

It would have been far more insightful for MS to have simply added a
property to the document to set the default fileSave name. I find it
incredible that Word 2003 is so lacking in this respect and many others
which I have discovered in the last few days.

After coding in VS.NET this is like coming from a Boing 747 cockpit to a
twin engine Sesser. Really annoying.

Regards

--
OHM ( Terry Burns ) * Use the following to email me *

Dim ch() As Char = "ufssz/cvsotAhsfbuTpmvujpotXjui/OFU".ToCharArray()
For i As Int32 = 0 To ch.Length - 1
ch(i) = Convert.ToChar(Convert.ToInt16(ch(i)) - 1)
Next
Process.Start("mailto:" & New String(ch))
--
"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Charles Kenyon

I guess that like many features in Word, this is one that is sort of there
as an afterthought or because some other program had a similar feature. That
it doesn't work very well or intuitively is left for fixing in a future
upgrade, if at all. Few users use the document properties. When I worked for
the government I think the phrase was "good enough for government work." I
guess one could extrapolate to a phrase of "good enough for Microsoft's end
users."
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

[...]

Word uses the Title property if it exists, but you have to create it before
you save the first time, and most users don't think about File | Properties
till they save (and then only if they have "Prompt for document properties"
enabled (Tools | Options | Save).

[...]

OHM \( Terry Burns \)

Thanks for your help so far.

I wonder if you might be of more help ?

I want to create a custom dialog which can offer a list of templates to
launch a new document based on. I hate the standard stuff word provides for
reasons already explained regarding Details versus lists. Do you know of a
code snippit that would do this. I want to display the title property of the
documents in a directory ( or file name ) and be able to double click the
item and have it launch a new doc based on the template.

I havent worked with list boxes in word yet and not sure how to manage
display text Vs values. Can you for example add objects into Listboxes ( Not
strings ) and if so how to I configure my object to return a string value
for the list to display, or am I missing something ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Word uses the Title property if it exists, but you have to create it
before
you save the first time, and most users don't think about File |
Properties
till they save (and then only if they have "Prompt for document
properties"
enabled (Tools | Options | Save).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

You are posting in an end user NG. You'd be better off posting to one of the
word.vba NGs if you want programming assistance.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.