Ron Patterson

Default Backups

RE Word 2002

I can not get Word to consistently make backups. I seem to recall you
have to hit the SAVE button twice to make backups automatically?

In any case when I go to Save As - Tools - Save Options ..... Always
create backups is checked but it doesn't seem to do that. I can not find
the backup file. Other times it seems to work just fine. Making me crazy.

Ron Patterson

You won't see the backup file unless you have All Files displayed in the
File Open dialog. It will be saved as "Backup of filename.wbk." Note that
it isn't a backup in the sense of a duplicate copy; it is just a copy of the
previous version. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
k.net...
RE Word 2002

I can not get Word to consistently make backups. I seem to recall you
have to hit the SAVE button twice to make backups automatically?

In any case when I go to Save As - Tools - Save Options ..... Always
create backups is checked but it doesn't seem to do that. I can not find
the backup file. Other times it seems to work just fine. Making me

crazy.

Ron Patterson

Ron Patterson

Thanks Suzanne
But when I go to the appropriate folder in My Documents and open it I can
see all the other files and their respective backups but not the one I am
currently trying to backup.

i.e. I just made a new Word file in a folder in My Docs. I SAVED it 2 or 3
times rapidly. When I go to Explorer and look in My Docs and that folder,
it shows the file I just created and the old files and their respective
backups but not a backup of the new file. And Always Create Backups was
checked in Save As tools.

Ron

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You won't see the backup file unless you have All Files displayed in the
File Open dialog. It will be saved as "Backup of filename.wbk." Note

that
it isn't a backup in the sense of a duplicate copy; it is just a copy of

the
previous version. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
k.net...
RE Word 2002

I can not get Word to consistently make backups. I seem to recall

you
have to hit the SAVE button twice to make backups automatically?

In any case when I go to Save As - Tools - Save Options ..... Always
create backups is checked but it doesn't seem to do that. I can not

find
the backup file. Other times it seems to work just fine. Making me

crazy.

Ron Patterson

If you saved it several times rapidly, you probably really saved it only
once. Unless you had actually made changes, Word did not save it after the
first time.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
news
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
k.net...
RE Word 2002

I can not get Word to consistently make backups. I seem to recall

you
have to hit the SAVE button twice to make backups automatically?

In any case when I go to Save As - Tools - Save Options .....

Always
create backups is checked but it doesn't seem to do that. I can not

find
the backup file. Other times it seems to work just fine. Making me

crazy.

Ron Patterson

Pop

As susan said, it's not literally a backup: It's always going to
be one revision prior to the most recent one that you saved.
Clicking Save rapidly and repeatedly would not create more files;
Word would just back up the file once, and wait for you to make
more changes.

Each time you change something in a file, then Save, the file as
it looked BEFORE you saved, is copied to backup of
filename.wbk.

Is the confusion because you think the rapidly clicking Save does
something different than just clicking it once? If so, you are
under a mis-conception. As soon as the Save operatoin starts,
Word quits paying attention to the keyboard or mouse until it
completes the Save, which is probably when you are doing the
rapid clicks? Just a thought.

Pop

Ron Patterson wrote:
[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the