Gerald

Default Underlining text after a set of words

In WordPerefect, you can continue with underlining by pressing the space bar.
How can I do this same thing in Word 2003?
Pat Garard

G'Day Gerald,

In Word you apply underlining in two ways:
select text FIRST and click the Underline button
(or press CTRL+u)
OR
turn underlining ON by clicking the Underline
button (or pressing CTRL+u);
Typing (the text is underlined as you type);
turn underlining OFF by clicking the Underline
button (or pressing CTRL+u);

The same applies to Bold (CTRL+b) and Italic
(CTRL+i)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Gerald" wrote in message
In WordPerefect, you can continue with underlining by pressing the space
bar.
How can I do this same thing in Word 2003?

TF

The final space in the sequence needs to be a non-breaking space insert
using Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar. Alternatively, use a Tab Leader.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Gerald" wrote in message
: In WordPerefect, you can continue with underlining by pressing the space
bar.
: How can I do this same thing in Word 2003?

Pat Garard

G'Day Gerald,

In Word you apply underlining in two ways:
select text FIRST and click the Underline button
(or press CTRL+u)
OR
turn underlining ON by clicking the Underline
button (or pressing CTRL+u);
Typing (the text is underlined as you type);
turn underlining OFF by clicking the Underline
button (or pressing CTRL+u);

The same applies to Bold (CTRL+b) and Italic
(CTRL+i)

When text is already underlined (bolded or italic),
place the insertion point immediately after the last
underlined character and continue typing.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Gerald" wrote in message
In WordPerefect, you can continue with underlining by pressing the space
bar.
How can I do this same thing in Word 2003?

Andy

Or ToolsOptionsCompatibility, check the box "Draw underline on
trailing spaces". This is for Word 2002 but I imagine 2003 has this
option also.

Interestingly, the relevant KB article says of this option, "Not used in
U.S. English Word," but it does demonstrably work.

"Andy" wrote in message
Or ToolsOptionsCompatibility, check the box "Draw underline on
trailing spaces". This is for Word 2002 but I imagine 2003 has this
option also.

TF

Suzanne

Interestingly, this never used to work in the English (UK) version of Word
either. But now its behaviour is really bizarre. If you say enter a word
with several spaces and a non-breaking space, SelectAll by double-clicking
on the word, and apply underline using Ctrl+U, it only underlines the word.
If you select the word and trailing spaces by dragging the mouse through the
selecting, Ctrl+U does underline all. Totally crazy behaviour.

Terry Farrell

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Interestingly, the relevant KB article says of this option, "Not used in
: U.S. English Word," but it does demonstrably work.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Andy" wrote in message
: ...
: Or ToolsOptionsCompatibility, check the box "Draw underline on
: trailing spaces". This is for Word 2002 but I imagine 2003 has this
: option also.
:
:
:
:

We're talking about different things. I was referring to the "Draw underline
on trailing spaces" Compatibility Option, which causes underline to work for
ordinary spaces (without a nonbreaking space). AFAIK, the nonbreaking-space
technique works in all versions without need for the Compatibility Option
(which IMO would be a nuisance since Word selects the space after a word
when you double-click it, so you'd be likely to get underlined spaces where
you didn't want them.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
[...]

: "Andy" wrote in message
: ...
: Or ToolsOptionsCompatibility, check the box "Draw underline on
: trailing spaces". This is for Word 2002 but I imagine 2003 has this
: option also.
:
:
:
:

TF

That's the option I meant. It makes no difference to this weird behaviour
whether it is on or off. I'm still testing this out at the moment to see if
I can make any sense of what is happening (and I'll compare it to what
happens on my work machine).

Terry

[...]
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Andy" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Or ToolsOptionsCompatibility, check the box "Draw underline on
: : trailing spaces". This is for Word 2002 but I imagine 2003 has this
: : option also.
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:

Mirror Text Box [email protected] Formatting Long Documents 1 January 24th 05 07:02 PM
Underlining single words Guineapic Microsoft Word Help 2 January 21st 05 09:39 PM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
how do you flip rotate/mirror image text (words) BJI925 Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 11:51 PM