daisymade

Default columns and tables

When should I use columns versus a table?
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:47:03 -0800, daisymade
wrote:

When should I use columns versus a table?

In general terms, use columns when the text flows naturally from the
bottom of one column to the top of the next. This is suitable for
newspapers (hence the typical description as "newspaper columns"),
magazines, newsletters, etc. Use a table when the material in one
column must be vertically aligned with the material in another column.

There are other uses for both, especially for tables (for instance,
Word uses them to create labels and business cards), but that's the
basic distinction.

For more in-depth discussion, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Pat Garard

G'Day Daisy,

If you | text that | paper then
want to | flows like | you use
produce | a news- | columns.

otherwise use Tables for lists etc.:
--------------------------------------
|For this: | Use: |
|--------------------------------------
|Newspaper Cols | Columns |
|Lists | a) Tables OR |
| | b) Tabbed layout |
|Other Stuff |Text Boxes |
--------------------------------------
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"daisymade" wrote in message
When should I use columns versus a table?

When joining tables, table sections shift left or right. JEB01 Tables 1 January 17th 05 07:57 PM
need columns for a "magazine" for my writing class Diane Page Layout 1 December 10th 04 03:47 PM
sorting tables kenny Tables 1 November 11th 04 09:44 PM
in consistent columns width Cath Tables 1 November 11th 04 04:24 PM
consecutive Table Rows with different # of columns of different widths || cypher || Tables 2 November 10th 04 02:06 AM