CCWT

Default Page number inside table

Using Word 2000, is it possible to insert a "Page x of y" type command in a
cell in the table that updates itself for the correct page number and total
number of pages? The top row is set as a heading row that repeats
automatically on each new page and that is where the cell is where we'd like
to have the automatic page numbering. Thanks in advance for any help
provided.

Jay Freedman

CCWT wrote:
Using Word 2000, is it possible to insert a "Page x of y" type
command in a cell in the table that updates itself for the correct
page number and total number of pages? The top row is set as a
heading row that repeats automatically on each new page and that is
where the cell is where we'd like to have the automatic page
numbering. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Sorry, you can't do it that way. The problem is that the text of the table
heading row is calculated on the first page of the table and then simply
repeated on the other pages; it doesn't recalculate the field results on
each page, the way the page header does.

You'll have to put the "Page x of y" either in the page header or in the
first non-heading row of the table on each page (which would have to be
moved if the table is edited later).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

CCWT

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
CCWT wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I placed the heading row of the table (with the page numbering) in
the header so the page numbering will work. Only problem was I couldn't get
rid of the blank line at the end of the header so the rest of the table that
starts right below the header looks like it is actually 'part' of the
header, and therefore, one big table. I tried to move the header margin up
(by sliding the vertical ruler) but that blank space wouldn't go away. I
had to change the spacing for that blank line to .06 (the smallest spacing
possible according to the warning I received when I tried to go smaller). Is
there any other way to get rid of that blank line at the end of the header?
Again, thanks for the info, it really helped.

sf

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:46:00 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Word requires a text paragraph (even if empty) after a table,

I knew that...

but if you format it as Hidden, it should disappear.

I didn't know I could do that! How is it done?

TIA

TF

Select the paragraph mark and then use Format, Font and check the Hidden
option. Note that it only disappears when the ShowAll command is off because
the ShowAll command displays hidden text.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: wrote:
:
: Word requires a text paragraph (even if empty) after a table,
:
: I knew that...
:
: but if you format it as Hidden, it should disappear.
:
: I didn't know I could do that! How is it done?
:
: TIA
:
:

sf

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:56:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Select the paragraph mark and Format | Font | Hidden.

Thanks Suzanne & TF, this has been a big problem for me for
as long as I've used tables (years) and I didn't know I
could "hide" that paragraph until now!

happy, happy, joy, joy!!!!