Stringbean

Default How can I open an .xls file in MSWks Suite 2004?

I am running Win XP Home, MSWks Suite 2004. It uses Word 2002 for the word
processor. The president of our organization appears to be using Office
whatever and sent me a copy of what he did and it has the .xls suffix. My
machine tells me that Windows cannot open this file. If a
converter/translater doesn't exist then we have a problem on the order of the
one Houston had.

Please advise

TF

You can't. Works Suite has a completely incompatible Spreadsheet of its own.
You can however open an Excel Spreadsheet and save it in Works format.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Stringbean" wrote in message
:I am running Win XP Home, MSWks Suite 2004. It uses Word 2002 for the word
: processor. The president of our organization appears to be using Office
: whatever and sent me a copy of what he did and it has the .xls suffix. My
: machine tells me that Windows cannot open this file. If a
: converter/translater doesn't exist then we have a problem on the order of
the
: one Houston had.
:
: Please advise
:
:

Sunny

"Stringbean" wrote in message
I am running Win XP Home, MSWks Suite 2004. It uses Word 2002 for the word
processor. The president of our organization appears to be using Office
whatever and sent me a copy of what he did and it has the .xls suffix. My
machine tells me that Windows cannot open this file. If a
converter/translater doesn't exist then we have a problem on the order of
the
one Houston had.

Viewers and Converters :
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/as...449811033.aspx

Graham Mayor

Windows cannot open the file because Works does not include Excel, however
the Works spreadsheet can open Excel files (after a fashion) from the File
open menu of that application and Word can open it if you have the
appropriate Excel filter installed - see file open and check the file
types. If the filter is not installed, re-run setup from Windows control
panel add & remove programs and add it.