FRANK ZANGARI

Default COPYING FILES TO CD-RW

I am trying to copy my files to a cd.
When i click on properties it has a check mark on archive.
When I right click to send that file to cd-rw a bubble
comes up and says,,
Can not copy business card, access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that
the file is not in use.

I even tried this on my computer and went to explore and
tried it from there and still get the same bubble.

Properties has a check mark on archive and not on read
only.

Can you help me on this. please be explicit.
I'm no computer nerd.
Thank you
Charles Kenyon

If you want to be able to use your documents, when working with in Word, act
as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to CDRW/CDR drives as
well.)
Don't use Word to:
Open a document on a floppy
Print a document on a floppy
Edit a document on a floppy
Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)

Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!

Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy it back and forth
using Windows.

I know that for some with shared computers (libraries) this is a tough
prescription. All I can recommend for that is to use a brand new formatted
disk each time you save and don't do any editing.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"FRANK ZANGARI" wrote in message
I am trying to copy my files to a cd.
When i click on properties it has a check mark on archive.
When I right click to send that file to cd-rw a bubble
comes up and says,,
Can not copy business card, access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that
the file is not in use.

I even tried this on my computer and went to explore and
tried it from there and still get the same bubble.

Properties has a check mark on archive and not on read
only.

Can you help me on this. please be explicit.
I'm no computer nerd.
Thank you

Pop

I have to disagree with you I'm afraid, re RW drives. It's truly not a =
good idea to open and edit a document on a CD, but not because Word =
trashes them. It's because of the excess time involved and the =
creation/deletion of temporary files, back ground saves, etc., that =
create very very long wait times, often fooling users in to thinking the =
machine has locked up, especially when the Page File maxes out. =20
Trashing files that way only happens with impatient people, or when a =
system is set up improperly. I often do it to just change a word or =
sentence or two, but to do any amount of work, you do indeed really need =
to bring it to the hard drive to work on it. However, there is no =
problem with using Save As to save the final document to the CD AS LONG =
AS you don't want to keep a local copy on the hard drive.
It is best, as mentioned, to work on the file on the hard drive, save =
it there, and THEN Save As or copy it to, the CDRW. =20
Now, since a CDR cannot support the deletion of anything on it, mean =
ing it's write once only, it gets pretty messy and impractical to edit a =
file on the CD. In fact, it's impossible and Word will complain loudly, =
especially when the many files being created have filled the CD, the =
older temp files still exist, and there's no more room left because of =
all the multiple files already created in tryin to edit it there. You =
can only add to, not edit or delete anything on a non-rewritable CD. =20

It's always best to copy to the hard drive, edit, then copy back to CD =
or CDRW. The packet writing software, or lack thereof, can also create =
confusion, and lots of it. =20

Pop

Charles Kenyon wrote:
If you want to be able to use your documents, when working with in
Word, act as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to
CDRW/CDR drives as well.)
Don't use Word to:
Open a document on a floppy
Print a document on a floppy
Edit a document on a floppy
Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)
=20
[...]

--=20
---
I may or may not know what I'm saying, but if I
have nothing to say, that's what I say!
Charles Kenyon

AFAIK once something is written to a CD-RW disk it is on that disk until the
disk is reformatted! You can delete it but it still takes up space that will
not be reused. I stand by my statement that you end up with document
corruption writing directly to a CD-R or CD-RW from Word. You may be correct
that this is because of impatience by the user rather than anything inherent
in the use of the CD; but it does happen enough to warrant the advice to not
try it.
--

Charles Kenyon wrote:
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Do not use Word to write to a CD. (CD/R CD/RW) Use Windows or your CD
burning software.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"FRANK ZANGARI" wrote in message
I am trying to copy my files to a cd.
When i click on properties it has a check mark on archive.
When I right click to send that file to cd-rw a bubble
comes up and says,,
Can not copy business card, access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that
the file is not in use.

I even tried this on my computer and went to explore and
tried it from there and still get the same bubble.

Properties has a check mark on archive and not on read
only.

Can you help me on this. please be explicit.
I'm no computer nerd.
Thank you

Office 2003 opening shared files from a computer with office 97. Robert Microsoft Word Help 1 January 25th 05 03:48 PM
What is EZP files, word is creating this tipe of files. jgnj Microsoft Word Help 1 January 18th 05 02:33 AM
Deleting Files erika Microsoft Word Help 1 January 11th 05 04:22 AM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM