Ed

Default Return Address Won't Save

Every time I print a label I have to retype my return
address. Word asks if I want to save it and I say "Yes, of
course". But, the next day, it is not there again. Why? How
do I get Word to retain it?

I am using Office 2003 on XP Pro. I remember having the
same problem using Word 97 a couple of years ago. Somebody
back then told me it was a corrupt registry but I remember
it coming back after fresh installs of Windows. I find it
hard to believe that my registry is corrupt again with a
fresh copy of XP and Office 2003 (and on a different machine).

Yes, I believe that when you tell Word to save the return
address as the default then it stuffs it into the User Info
Tab. At least I think that is how it works. I just checked
and it is in there because I manually entered the return
address again today. But, I am expecting that this will not
survive another reboot.

Have you entered your address on the User Information tab

of Tools |
Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ed" wrote in message
Every time I print a label I have to retype my return
address. Word asks if I want to save it and I say "Yes, of
course". But, the next day, it is not there again. Why? How
do I get Word to retain it?

I am using Office 2003 on XP Pro. I remember having the
same problem using Word 97 a couple of years ago. Somebody
back then told me it was a corrupt registry but I remember
it coming back after fresh installs of Windows. I find it
hard to believe that my registry is corrupt again with a
fresh copy of XP and Office 2003 (and on a different

machine).

.

Graham Mayor

Minor registry corruptions can cause this problem as you indicated in your
first post. You can reset the registry data key responsible -
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm. Alternatively, you can
use this to your advantage -
http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm

Web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site www.mvps.org/word

wrote:
Yes, I believe that when you tell Word to save the return
address as the default then it stuffs it into the User Info
Tab. At least I think that is how it works. I just checked
and it is in there because I manually entered the return
address again today. But, I am expecting that this will not
survive another reboot.

Have you entered your address on the User Information tab

of Tools |
Options?

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"Ed" wrote in message
Every time I print a label I have to retype my return
address. Word asks if I want to save it and I say "Yes, of
course". But, the next day, it is not there again. Why? How
do I get Word to retain it?

I am using Office 2003 on XP Pro. I remember having the
same problem using Word 97 a couple of years ago. Somebody
back then told me it was a corrupt registry but I remember
it coming back after fresh installs of Windows. I find it
hard to believe that my registry is corrupt again with a
fresh copy of XP and Office 2003 (and on a different machine).

.

Ed

Problem solved. I found that the Windows file cleaning
utility that I use was deleting the saved return address. I
use a program named CrapCleaner that I had set to clear
tracks from Office2003 as well as the standard settings to
clear temp files, internet tracks, etc. I just noticed that
immediately after running CrapCleaner I lost my saved
address from User Info. I unchecked the appropriate option
in CrapCleaner and all is well.

I am posting this for everyone else's benefit now. If
anybody else posts a similar problem then you can ask them
about track clearing utilities.