EPPack

Default Word 2K templates location?

Where do Word 2K "new document" templates live? I don't recall specifying a
file location in options [d&s/username/appl data/MS/templates], but there's
a bunch there that I see, but there's a LOT more of them in what appears to
be a default location in the program files/microsoft office/1033 folder.
Plus some of them seem to be in groupings, like "letters & faxes" for just
one, but I can't find the specific group names anywhere. Are these groupings
based on something internal to the .dot? Some of them do relate to specific
folders, but not all of them. Created a test one in the AD folder and it
worked fine.

I also have 2 "general" groups, and want to kill one, but am not sure how to
do that, since I only SEE one in those folders above! One of them has
several templates I developed, which is fine, but the other one has only
"blank document" and "web page" (no suffix showing and 0 size). I'm assuming
"blank document" is normal.dot, but I'd prefer it to be in that same folder
with the other personalized files. One is at the top level of the location I
chose, and copying it to the "general" folder mentioned above, does create
"blank doc" there too, not surprisingly.

I've moved some of the files around, and they seem to move OK, but sometimes
they show up as (for example) "some file of choice" but other times they
show as "somefileofchoice.dot" in the new doc dialog. It looks like
sometimes if you move a template, it stays in its old place with a zero
size, but works fine in the new location. Weird.

I would like to move them around into groups that make more sense to me but
now I'm not so sure I have the right ones. Does the new doc dialog pull from
both locations, my designated one and the 1033 folder? What exactly IS the
1033 folder for, btw? I don't really care where they live, I just want them
all in the same folder tree.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Charles Kenyon

It depends on your operating system and setup. For more on the different
kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates
folders see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.