StargateFan

Default How do we make our macros "signed"?

I ran across a new default, the security level at this new contract is
set for high. Everywhere I've been up till now, it's been medium, so
I'd never run into problem of macros not working until re-setting the
security level.

Since this is the case, and since I'm creating Word documents and
spreadsheets with macros to share with other colleagues, thought it
might be prodent to look into that "signed" business or whatever it's
called. I'm assuming that if I configure, or whatever, all these
macros in that way, that that will also perhaps stop the macro
confirmation box that keeps coming up whenever one opens up a document
with macros?? That would be ideal. These are necessary and safe
macros that I write strictly for the purposes of making people's lives
easier.

Any point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Share templates instead of docs, and you won't have to worry. As long as the
templates are in the user templates or workgroup templates folder or in
Word's Startup folder (assuming installed templates and add-ins are trusted
on the Trusted Sources tab), they won't need to be signed.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
[...]

StargateFan

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:46:25 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Share templates instead of docs, and you won't have to worry. As long as the
templates are in the user templates or workgroup templates folder or in
Word's Startup folder (assuming installed templates and add-ins are trusted
on the Trusted Sources tab), they won't need to be signed.

You lost me, sorry. Even when these files are saved in template
format, I still get the message. And all these files need to be
emailed, so no way to have them in a particular folder. If they are
shared aftewards, they would be place on a shared network drive (in
this contract, the G drive is the shared network folder), so again,
we're out of luck re their being anywhere near a startup folder.
sigh

So "signing" or whatever, I'm guessing, isn't going to solve the
problem (?).

I've gone ahead and put a help button into the spreadsheet that
explains how to change the security level from high to medium to at
least allow the macros to work. I was hoping to get rid of the
problem altogether with this "signing" business, but admittedly don't
know what would be involved, anyway. It just seemed like a good idea
to try to see if doing this would help.

Thanks.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Even if Security is set to High, templates in Word's template folders
(including the workgroup template folder) and its Startup folder are trusted
provided you have enabled this option on the Trusted Sources tab of Tools |
Macro | Security. Set the shared network drive location as the workgroup
templates folder.

wrote:

[...]

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Jay Freedman

Yes, you can sign your macro code, and each user will be asked once whether
to trust your macros.

To do this, you first need a code signing certificate. For internal use only
(on your PC and possibly on those in your organization where you're known
and trusted), you can create a certificate by running the SelfCert.exe
application in the Office program folder. This won't do for code you're
emailing out of your office; for that you need a certificate issued by one
of the public certificate authorities, such as Verisign or Thawte. Verisign
wants $400, but I couldn't find a statement on their site of how long the
certificate lasts (they all expire). Thawte charges $200 for one year or
$400 for two years.

Once you have a certificate, you install it on your development machine.
Then in the VBA editor you can use the Tools Digital Signatures dialog to
sign the current project.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

StargateFan wrote:
[...]

Rick

If you decide to use the SelfCert.exe to sign your code, it will create a
personal certificate on your machine. You can then export it and provide it
to the users of your macros (if it's a small manageable group I suppose).
They, in turn, need to import it. Once they've done that, they will be able
to tell Office that you are a "trusted" publisher the first time they run
one of your macros. This way, they can keep their security level at High.

To export/import your personal certificate (after you've created it, of
course, using SelfCert), go into IE 6 -- Tools | Internet Options |
Content -- and look at the Personal tab.

[...]

StargateFan

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:29:11 -0500, "Rick" wrote:

If you decide to use the SelfCert.exe to sign your code, it will create a
personal certificate on your machine. You can then export it and provide it
to the users of your macros (if it's a small manageable group I suppose).
They, in turn, need to import it. Once they've done that, they will be able
to tell Office that you are a "trusted" publisher the first time they run
one of your macros. This way, they can keep their security level at High.

To export/import your personal certificate (after you've created it, of
course, using SelfCert), go into IE 6 -- Tools | Internet Options |
Content -- and look at the Personal tab.

Wow! I learned so much in this thread re this. Thanks. Interesting
to know about the charge, etc. I've opted to go a different route. I
put an extra sheet in my book.xlt labelled "H" (for "Help", though
know that won't be self-evident to everyone g), and I put a blurb re
the macros and macro security and how to fix macros that are disabled.
That seemed the best way to go that would cause least amount of
trouble. I have a message window _also_ pop up once they get the
macros to work by hitting a question mark button that says the same
thing. I figured I've covered all the bases.

It's the first company in all my years of working that has such high
security all across the board, but since it's related to border
services, one can see why security is high.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help, as always, you have no idea!