Brenda Rueter

Default Form Documents brought into XP

Client has Word XP running on Windows XP. Her document was done in Word
2000. It is a standard form with fields and document is protected. Since
the form is now being used in Word XP, client notices that it is necessary
to double-click the next field or else the first character typed into the
field is ignored. When she tabs to each field that same first character
typed is ignored.

I have two machines, both with Word XP, one running Windows XP and the other
with Windows 2000. I do not duplicate this behavior on either machine.
Anyone have any hints about what we might be looking for here to remedy this
situation? TIA!

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Brenda,

Doesn't sound familiar... When you test, are you testing with the same
documents the client is having problems with?

Does the client see the same problem with a small test form they create from a
new document? How about one you create?

Client has Word XP running on Windows XP. Her document was done in Word
2000. It is a standard form with fields and document is protected. Since
the form is now being used in Word XP, client notices that it is necessary
to double-click the next field or else the first character typed into the
field is ignored. When she tabs to each field that same first character
typed is ignored.

I have two machines, both with Word XP, one running Windows XP and the other
with Windows 2000. I do not duplicate this behavior on either machine.
Anyone have any hints about what we might be looking for here to remedy this
situation?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

I've seen this problem once. By chance, is the user using ActiveX
control text boxes from the Control Toolbox versus text boxes from the
form fields?

The only time I saw this was with the Control Toolbox textbox when the
user had the event set to Change, which meant the user had to actually
type something to have the info recognized, hence the first char
wasn't recognized. It was strange, but as soon as she changed to
standard form field text boxes (since she didn't realize the ActiveX
controls in her case were overkill)...it worked as it should.

Just a thought.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine