Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Changing all endnotes numbers from Roman to Latin

I had to combine (for my wife) several Word 97 documents (each
containing a book chapter) into one single file and then transferred it
to Word 2002 again as a single file.

Of course, several problems occurred mainly dealing with fonts which I
have fixed. There is one I would however like advice on so I do not
mess things up.

The endnotes from the different chapters all appeared correctly at the
end of the single file, but instead of the original footnote Latin
numbers (102, 103, etc.) they are now all in Roman numbers (xxvii,
etc.). I need to change them all globally back to Latin numbers.
Because this single document was created from several separate chapter
documents I am afraid the code controlling the endnote numbering may be
not in one place but in several places corresponding to the several
original chapter documents I copy and pasted into the new document.

1. How to I search for that endnote numbering format code and how do I
correct it when I find it.

2. Similarly the page numbers are all messed up and the code inserting
the page numbers may be in several locations (because of the multiple
original chapter documents) in the combined document. How do I search
for them to eliminate them and make everything start at page one except
for the front matter, etc.

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Not an issue. First of all, I will say that for many, many versions now we
have been asking *why* lowercase roman numerals are the default for
endnotes? Where in the world did that come from? Who uses them? But simple
to fix.

1. Insert | Reference | Footnote. Endnotes should already be selected,
assuming you don't also have footnotes. If necessary, select the Endnotes
radio button.

2. Change the "Number format" to 1, 2, 3.

3. Making sure that "Whole document" is selected for "Apply changes to,"
click Apply.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Thank you Suzanne. As usual you came through. Worked like a charm.

Related question, purely cosmetic: At present the endnotes come out
with no spaces after the number (example: 2text of foot note) Is there
a way in Word 2002 to tell it to add a space after the number?

As I said the above is purely cosmetic and for ease of use. This
combined document will not go out anywhere. The actual manuscript is
already at the Press and being put into pages. Problem is when that
comes back (due in a couple of weeks), she will have only one month to
prepare an index and that will be from the paper documents not from a
computer file.

So, I suggested that she take the extra time to create a "temporary"
"working" index using Word from the manuscript file she has on computer
(that's why I created a single document by combining - through cut and
paste - the chapter docs). Although the index created by Word will not
have the correct pages as they will be in the Press pages, it should
then be a simpler matter to use it as a template and substitute the
correct pages from the paper document they send her than if she had to
create the index totally from paper. Should also give her more time to
combine index entries into sub-headings where indicated, etc.

Does this sound reasonable?

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'd love to know how you managed to get Word to give you references without
a space after them. I'm always having to take the spaces out of mine. But of
course the space is not needed if you have the reference superscripted,
whereas if you want a full-sized number, then you probably want not just
space but also a period and a tab; for that, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...scptFnotes.htm

Although it's theoretically possible to create an index across several
documents using an RD field, it is undeniably easier to do it on a single
file. I think putting the index together will be difficult no matter how
it's done, but starting the way you describe is probably not a bad idea. A
couple of suggestions: 1. Read John McGhie's article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm to get started in the
right direction. 2. Once the index is generated and you are satisfied with
the entries and subentries, you can unlink it so that it is just plain text,
then paste it into a new blank document (or you can paste and then unlink,
leaving the index in the large file linked), which will be the basis for the
document you send to the printer. You'll have all the entries and "all you
have to do" (ha!) is correct the page numbers.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Thank you Suzanne. That is what I plan to do. My wife is a brilliant
scholar but very computer phobic. So I am "tech support" - often with
the help if experts like you grin.

I'd love to know how you managed to get Word to give you references
without
a space after them.

It just happened as part of combining her separate chapter documents
into one file (on her Word 97) and then converting it when I opened the
combined file in Word 2002.

But I think you misunderstand me. What I got as footnotes in the W2002
combined doc - after the manipulations described - were footnotes that
had no space after the numbers (that is that looked like "233text"
instead of "233 text .......". I am referring to the actual footnote
and its text, not the reference number in the main text. (Actually they
are all endnotes, not footnotes. My fault as I always thing of them
generically as "footnotes")

For her purposes, this is OK but it makes the text harder to read
because after all the file manipulations and font changes (some of the
main text had sections in super or sub script, and I had to make global
changes into regular fonts) the footnote text and their numbers are all
in normal fonts (not superscript). So without superscript to make the
number stand out in the footnote, it is "cosmetically" unappealing the
way it is without a space after the number.

This is something relatively minor for her present purposes, I am just
trying to make things as smooth as possible. Maybe an alternative would
be, instead of trying to force Word to add a space after the footnote
number, I could find a footnote/endnote global formatting change where I
could make these numbers (not the footnote text) at least go back to
superscript. As I said, not terrible important but it would be nice
........ I can change the numbers to superscript but it is not practical
to do it that way for the 800+ footnotes.

Thanks for the help Suzanne. Both of us appreciate it.

Jeff

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I understood what you were saying. I'm just saying that in every version of
Word I've ever used, I've always gotten a space between the footnote
reference and the footnote text in the footnote (or endnote). Note also that
the Footnote/Endnote Reference character style is by default superscript. If
it isn't in your document, you can modify it. The style definition should
read "Default Paragraph Font + Superscript."

The fact that you're not getting a space and that you're not getting
superscript makes me wonder if there's some add-in or macro that's affecting
the way this feature works.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Thanks again.

I looked at the style definitions. The numbers all are shown as being
in the style "Endnote reference" which is correct; and the definition
for endnote reference I found was:
"Endnote Reference + Font (Default) Times New Roman, Underline,
Condensed by 0.15 pt, Complex Script Font: Courier New"

So I tried modifying it through the Format\font button, but all I could
get it to end up saying was
"Default Paragraph Font + Font: Times New Roman, No Underline,
Superscript, Not Double strikethrough".

Don't ask. I do not know how I got all this, but the bottom line is that
the reference numbers are now at least underlined, but NOT superscript
like the definitions says.

Wish I could get it to apply the standard default endnote reference
style.

Jeff

P.S. I think I know why the reference endnote style got messed up. When
I converted the document (either into one document or from Word 97 to
Word 2002, some of the text appeared in superscript. Finding that
disturbing I selected these huge sections of text and changed their font
to remove the font\superscript. I know see by looking through the
documents that these - now normal appearing text - are still listed as
style "endnote text" even though I corrected the font to remove the
superscript. Tat must have created the new endonote style that are not
superscript.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Thanks again.

I looked at the style definitions. The numbers all are shown as being
in the style "Endnote reference" which is correct; and the definition
for endnote reference I found was:
"Endnote Reference + Font (Default) Times New Roman, Underline,
Condensed by 0.15 pt, Complex Script Font: Courier New"

So I tried modifying it through the Format\font button, but all I could
get it to end up saying was
"Default Paragraph Font + Font: Times New Roman, No Underline,
Superscript, Not Double strikethrough".

Don't ask. I do not know how I got all this, but the bottom line is that
the reference numbers are now at least underlined, but NOT superscript
like the definitions says.

When looking to modify the style, I see that I have listed in this
document several possible "Endnote reference" styles, some of which do
indeed produce a superscript reference number the way the looks normal
to me. I can apply this correct endnote reference style to each
reference number individually - which is too tedious to be practical. I
wish I knew a way to apply this working style to wherever the endnote
reference appears in the document. Is there a way to do this globally?

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When the endnotes are created, the reference marks have the Endnote
Reference style, but unfortunately it is all too easy to remove it because
Ctrl+Spacebar removes character styles as well as direct font formatting.
When that happens, unfortunately, there is no recourse but to reapply it
manually (and I know this because I somehow managed to end up in that
situation--in a document with hundreds of endnotes).

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that you can use the following macro:

Sub ReapplyEndnoteRefStyle()

Dim e As Endnote

For Each e In ActiveDocument.Endnotes
e.Reference.Style = wdStyleEndnoteReference
e.Range.Paragraphs(1).Range.Characters(1).Style = _
wdStyleEndnoteReference
Next e

End Sub

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, you know, you can do this with a simple Find and Replace. You just
search for ^e (Endnote Mark) and replace with ^& formatted with Endnote
Reference style. I wish I'd remembered that when I was doing the long doc
manually!

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Of course. That's even better.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

.... or at least easier.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Especially for people with no VBA skills. I don't know why it is that I
never think of these things when I'm in the middle of a problem, but I liken
the situation to that of Winnie-the-Pooh:

"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back
of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only
way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is
another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it."

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
... or at least easier.

--
Stefan Blom