Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Default TOC & Return

Hi all,

****f-F5 works great and is pretty useful. Now I'm curious about another
little goody that I doubt exists, but ... if one doesn't ask, then one never
knows; right? g

Word 2002:
Have a Document with a TOC which is made from Headings, specifically Heading
styles 1 thru4 . It's about 3 pages long as this is an all text document
promising to surpass 500 pages. It's 485 pages now and quite a ways to go
yet.

This is an annoyance that's bugged me for a long time:

Is there a simple way to jump back to the place in the toc you came from?
In other words if I click on a toc line in the third page of the toc, and
say it takes me to page 400, is there any easy way to provide a link that'll
take me back to page 3 of the toc?

A link to "top" sort of works but isn't very convenient when you really
wanted to go back to page 3 of the toc. I know I could manually, say, page
1 of the toc covers pages 1 thru, say 100, and for those 100 pages,
hyperlink back to that page, but ... that's pretty crutty if the document
should get changed/rearranged at all; it's worse than the alternatives so
far, IMO.

So ... any other ideas or little tricks I'm maybe not aware of?

Any Word 2007 users out there care to pipe in? To date I've had no reason
to switch from 2002, but ... maybe this could be the first one.

TIA
Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Poprivet,

I don't have a document like that handy to test, but it worked in a
small test, and you can try it easily: Display the Web toolbar (View
Toolbars Web). After clicking the TOC to jump into the document,
click the Back button on the toolbar.

If that works, you can add the Back button to any other toolbar (most
easily, hold Alt+Shift while dragging the button from the Web toolbar
to the other).

As far as I know, no changes to this function were made in Word 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:42:05 -0400, "Poprivet"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The Back (and Forward) commands are by default assigned to Alt+Left and
Alt+Right, respectively. The same keystrokes with in all of the browsers
I've tried as well... not to mention in a number of other applications for
which the Back/Forward concepts are relevant.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

wrote:

[...]

Convert soft breaks (shift/return) into hard breaks (return). KathfromWI Microsoft Word Help 13 November 11th 06 02:20 PM
Search and replace hard-line-return character, not carriage return Tyler T Microsoft Word Help 2 August 16th 06 09:11 PM
Return Address Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 November 15th 05 09:38 AM
return address Hazel Mailmerge 2 June 27th 05 05:43 AM
VBA to apply a Soft Return (or Hard Return) at end of wrapped line Dennis Microsoft Word Help 7 May 14th 05 07:01 AM