Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anthony Giorgianni[_2_] Anthony Giorgianni[_2_] is offline

Default Preventing fomatting from migrating to other pages

Hello Everyone!

This has long bugged me. Many times I write in Word in three columns, with
page 1 using a 3" top margin (usually with a text box above it) and the rest
of the pages using 1' top margins.

The problem is that if I insert additional text on the first page, the
overflow moves to a NEW second page (Word automatically inserts the new
page) that has a 3" top margin. If I use delete at the end of the overflow
material on the second page to bring the material from what is now the third
page, the entire document now gets a 1" top margin and my text box at the
top of the first page mostly disappears off the top of the page. If I try to
change the new page 2 to a 1" margin, it affects page 1. Is there a way to
prevent all this? I have to keep resetting everything! Very frustrating.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regards,

Anthony Giorgianni

For everyone's benefit, please reply to the group.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you using a manual page break or a section break to add the second
page? If so, you will definitely get a "new second page" as text is
added to the first page.

Instead, do this:

Enable the "Different first page" option in File | Page Setup, Layout
tab.

Either add Spacing After (Format | Paragraph) to the first page header
paragraph or anchor a text box and use it to increase the top margin.

For more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anthony Giorgianni" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anthony Giorgianni[_2_] Anthony Giorgianni[_2_] is offline

Thanks Stefan

I'm not using anything to create that new page. Word is creating it
automatically using I don't know what.

Also, I like the idea of using the textbox and anchor to set the space at
the top of the first page and simply using 1". But oddly, my textbox simply
will not displace text, no matter which layout method I choose - except
"in line with text", in which case it jumps to the middle of the page and
won't let me
move it. Otherwise, it always wants to be in front of the text or behind the
text for some reason I've not seen before.

And if I try to move that second page text to the first or third page, the
1" top margin formatting goes back to he first page and the text box mostly
disappears off the top of the page EVEN THOUGH I have checked "Lock anchor."
Very odd. Clicking different first page in layout seems to have no effect on
anything.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anthony Giorgianni[_2_] Anthony Giorgianni[_2_] is offline

Default Preventing formatting .. Got it

Had to convert the textbox to a photo and temporarily eliminate the drop
cap. Otherwise word simply would not let any displace text. (Looks like a
programming flaw to me). Now I have 1" all around, with the photo creating
the 3" top margin by pushing text down. I can recreate the drop cap after I
set it all up.