Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcebob tcebob is offline

Default Redundant extra page

I tried to set up a 10 x 4 envelope at the top of an 8 1/2 x 11 page (landscape). Brought
in a table of one cell, just for visual alignment, and text boxes for return and send
addresses. Somehow, the program has ascertained that I really want 2 pages, each 11 x 4
1/4 above and below each other. So print results in a blank sheet and an ok envelope. But
the blank sheet prints first (my option) and there is no opportunity to set the envelope
in the printer. How can I place the text and margins where they belong and wind up with
just one sheet?

What is an anchor symbol?

Thanks,

rs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I can't image what you have done, but you mentioned table. Tables MUST
always be followed by a paragraph mark that stores its formatting
information. Turn on your ShowAll command and you will probably see the
trailing paragraph mark on the blank page in its own. Select it and apply
Hidden attribute. Then when you toggle off the ShowAll command, the extra
page will disappear.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"tcebob" handle @ gwi.net wrote in message
I tried to set up a 10 x 4 envelope at the top of an 8 1/2 x 11 page
(landscape). Brought
in a table of one cell, just for visual alignment, and text boxes for
return and send
addresses. Somehow, the program has ascertained that I really want 2
pages, each 11 x 4
1/4 above and below each other. So print results in a blank sheet and an
ok envelope. But
the blank sheet prints first (my option) and there is no opportunity to
set the envelope
in the printer. How can I place the text and margins where they belong and
wind up with
just one sheet?

What is an anchor symbol?

Thanks,

rs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcebob tcebob is offline

(Forgot to mention: Word 2003)
Apparently the table cell complicates the situation, so I removed it. Now I have two text
boxes and have defined the margins as left 0.1", right 0.9", top 4" and bottom 0.5".
however, as you can see on the screen shot, the margin area is about half that expected,
though the tick marks are shown right.
Further, if I drag one of the textboxes to the working area, it disappears.

I guess I'll have to give up on the textboxes and just type the text in place.

rs

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
:I can't image what you have done, but you mentioned table. Tables MUST
: always be followed by a paragraph mark that stores its formatting
: information. Turn on your ShowAll command and you will probably see the
: trailing paragraph mark on the blank page in its own. Select it and apply
: Hidden attribute. Then when you toggle off the ShowAll command, the extra
: page will disappear.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
:
: "tcebob" handle @ gwi.net wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It is impossible to see what you have done because you still haven't toggled
on the ShowAll command. If you can't see the non-printing characters, you
cannot see what you have done. We can't see what you have done either.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcebob tcebob is offline

OK, I take it you mean the Show/Hide command. Here's another shot. As I said, the table is
removed. The principal issue is why the dashed lines indicating the borders don't coincide
with the 4 tick marks.
[...]

: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
: :
: : "tcebob" handle @ gwi.net wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'm beginning to understand now. The text boxes are floating in the wrong
places - but most mysteriously, I cannot see an anchor anywhere. You could
try right-clicking on the edge of each text box and then use the position
settings all set reference to the Page. However, this is totally the wrong
way to set about this.

The Word way is to go to Tools, Envelopes and Labels, select the Envelope
tab, select the correct envelope size and Add to Document. Note that the
envelopes displayed are limited solely to those supported by your printer
driver. If 10 x 4 is not an option, select the closest envelope larger than
the 10 x 4 and Add To Document. Then go to page setup and adjust the margins
to compensate for the oversize. Once it is correct, you can save it as a
template for reuse

However, that said, I hate the wizard and prefer to create my own templates
for the envelopes that I use regularly. My colleague, Graham Mayor, has an
excellent guide in how to change the envelope layouts and several envelope
templates that you can download.

http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcebob tcebob is offline

Thanks, Terry: I will check out Graham's info. I didn't think of the Add-to-document
feature as a means of setting up a template. Worth a try.

The primary motivation for this exercise is to come up with a batch file to grab an
address from Outlook, activate Word, and print the envelope. Only one at a time; I don't
do batch mailing.

[...]

: : :
: : : --
: : : Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
: : :
: : : "tcebob" handle @ gwi.net wrote in message
: : : ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

One of the envelope set you can download from my web site is already
automated to grab single addresses from Outlook. The process is described at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

tcebob wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcebob tcebob is offline

Wow!. Thanks, Graham.

rs

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: One of the envelope set you can download from my web site is already
: automated to grab single addresses from Outlook. The process is described at
: http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
: tcebob wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcebob tcebob is offline

Suzanne, its always a pleasure to read your advice. Will hustle right on over.

rs

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: And see also http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/DetachEnvelope.htm
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
[...]
: : : :
: : : : --
: : : : Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
: : : :
: : : : "tcebob" handle @ gwi.net wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham's automated solution may be easier for you, and I usually create my
envelope templates from scratch (beginning with the envelope paper size and
placing elements manually), but for those who find it convenient to create
an envelope through the Envelopes and Labels dialog and then attach it to a
document for saving, printing, or fine-tuning, my article explains how
remove the attached "letter."