Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Look2TheSky2 Look2TheSky2 is offline

Default Time format in Mail Merge field

I am merging data from an Excel worksheet into a Word document. Although the
time data in Excel is formatted as h:mm AM/PM, the same time presented in the
merged document appears as h:mm:ss AM/PM.

I think I need to use a switch in the merged field to reformat it to the
preferred h:mm AM/PM.

On the merge document, the field looks like this (after alt-f9) ....
{MERGEFIELD "Start_Time"}.

I do not know how or where to insert the switch (\@ "h:mm AM/PM)??

Thanks in advance for your help. A simple problem, but one I am struggling
with.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Time format in Mail Merge field

Reformatting Time in a Merged Document

Hi there! I can definitely help you with this issue.

To reformat the time in your merged document, you can use the switch you mentioned (\@ "h:mm AM/PM"). Here's how you can insert it into your merge field:
  1. In your Word document, select the merge field that displays the time data (in your case, {MERGEFIELD "Start_Time"}).
  2. Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code view.
  3. At the end of the merge field, add a space and then type \@"h:mm AM/PM" (without the quotes).
  4. Press Alt+F9 again to toggle back to the merged data view.

Your merge field should now look something like this:

{MERGEFIELD "Start_Time" \@ "h:mm AM/PM"}

When you preview or complete the merge, the time data should now be formatted as h:mm AM/PM.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Insert it after the second quote mark in your field, and before the
closing French brace.

See also http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/index.htm for further
clarification

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Look2TheSky2" wrote in message
:

I am merging data from an Excel worksheet into a Word document. Although the
time data in Excel is formatted as h:mm AM/PM, the same time presented in the
merged document appears as h:mm:ss AM/PM.

I think I need to use a switch in the merged field to reformat it to the
preferred h:mm AM/PM.

On the merge document, the field looks like this (after alt-f9) ....
{MERGEFIELD "Start_Time"}.

I do not know how or where to insert the switch (\@ "h:mm AM/PM)??

Thanks in advance for your help. A simple problem, but one I am struggling
with.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/26/2007 12:12 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi,

Try:
{MERGEFIELD "Start_Time" \@ "h:mm AM/PM"}.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Look2TheSky2" wrote in message ...
I am merging data from an Excel worksheet into a Word document. Although the
time data in Excel is formatted as h:mm AM/PM, the same time presented in the
merged document appears as h:mm:ss AM/PM.

I think I need to use a switch in the merged field to reformat it to the
preferred h:mm AM/PM.

On the merge document, the field looks like this (after alt-f9) ....
{MERGEFIELD "Start_Time"}.

I do not know how or where to insert the switch (\@ "h:mm AM/PM)??

Thanks in advance for your help. A simple problem, but one I am struggling
with.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Thanks, Dawn.

I have been looking for a name to call { } and Googling for French Brace
does turn a few (only a few mind you) hits that support the use of that
term.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Doug,

Mostly I think you'll find they're just called braces.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Hi Doug -

I don't remember when I learned the term ~ it's been a long time ago.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and questions
to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/27/2007 11:06 AM