Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kathleen Kathleen is offline

Default How to I print only non-blank fields in Mail Merge?

I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the fields are
empty. How can I do that?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to I print only non-blank fields in Mail Merge?

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with that. Here's how you can print only non-blank fields in Mail Merge using Word 2003:
  1. Open your merged document in Word 2003.
  2. Click on "View" in the menu bar and select "Print Layout" to ensure that you are in the correct view.
  3. Click on "Tools" in the menu bar and select "Letters and Mailings" and then "Mail Merge".
  4. In the Mail Merge task pane, select "Filter" and then "Customize".
  5. In the "Customize Address List" dialog box, select the field that you want to filter by from the "Field" drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Comparison" drop-down menu, select "Not Blank".
  7. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  8. Click "OK" again to close the "Filter and Sort" dialog box.
  9. Click "Preview Results" in the Mail Merge task pane to see the filtered results.
  10. If you are satisfied with the results, click "Finish and Merge" and then select "Print Documents" to print only the non-blank fields.

That's it! I hope this helps you print only the records you need.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use the SkipIf field to test if an appropriate mergefield is blank. If it
is, that record will be skipped.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Kathleen" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the fields
are
empty. How can I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lester Lane Lester Lane is offline

On 30 June, 08:34, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
Use the SkipIf field to test if an appropriate mergefield is blank. *If it
is, that record will be skipped.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

I am using Word 2003. *I have my merged document and data fields. Some data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the fields
are
empty. How can I do that?

I too have this issue. I don't think the above has answered this. I
don't want to go to the next record, I want the data field to be
skipped or not printed. Eg a London address does not have a County so
the postcode should be "pulled up" to appear under London. I don't
want the next address! Am I right Kathleen?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Kathleen,

If you're wanting to skip the whole record when the specified field is empty, the approach suggested by Doug will work.

However, if you're just trying to hide the space taken up by an empty field when it's positioned between two others, you can use an
IF test coded along the lines of:

Empty Space Suppression-
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be suppressed (eg «MyData») so that you get «MyData»«MyData»;
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9 to enclose them in a new field, thus {«MyData»«MyData»};
.. fill in around the new field braces so that you end up with: {IF«MyData»= "" "" "«MyData» "};
.. delete the space after the field.

Empty Line Suppression-
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be suppressed (eg «MyData») so that you get «MyData»«MyData»;
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9 to enclose them in a new field, thus { «MyData»«MyData» };
.. fill in between the braces so that you end up with {IF«myData»= "" "" "«MyData»¶
"}, where the '¶' is a paragraph mark or line-feed, depending on which you're using;
. delete the existing paragraph mark or line-feed after the field.

When you're done with the above:
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Kathleen" wrote in message ...
I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the fields are
empty. How can I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

On 30 June, 12:28, "macropod" wrote:
[...]

Kathleen,
I re-read your question in less haste and realise I got the wrong end
of the stick! It is quite clear actually. I have fixed my issue with
an IF statement. Thanks all.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sandra Sandra is offline

Hi! I'm using Office 2007 and I *think* this thread is what I'm trying to do
but I'm not quite sure.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with Name, Organization, Address, City,
Province, Postal Code and I'm trying to make labels from it. However, some
rows do not have anything in the Organization field so when I go to make a
label, I've been having to manually edit the labels to remove that blank
space.

In Office 2000, I seem to recall that there was just a check box where the
blank field would be ignored and it all worked out fine but I'm under the
impression that Office 2007 isn't so simple that way. If the procedure below
is what I need, can someone point me to a more detailed, simple instructions
since I'm not understanding what I'm copying and where I'm CTRL-F9ing....? :-)

Thanks in advance!

sandra

"Kathleen" wrote in message ...
I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the fields are
empty. How can I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I assume that you have the mergefields inserted something like:

Name
Organization
Address
City Province Postal Code

Insert additional mergefields so that you have

Name
OrganizationOrganizationAddressAddre ss
City Province Postal Code

If you press Alt+F9 to toggle on the field codes and click on the Show/Hide
(¶) button to show formatting marks, you will see

{ MERGEFIELD "Name" }¶
{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD
"Address }{ MERGEFIELD "Address }¶
{ MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD "Province" } { MERGEFIELD "Postal Code" )

Select the second line and press Ctrl+F9 and then you will see:

{ MERGEFIELD "Name" }¶
{ { MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD
"Address }{ MERGEFIELD "Address } }¶
{ MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD "Province" } { MERGEFIELD "Postal Code" )

Now, modify that so that it looks as follows, pressing the Enter key where
the ¶ appears after { MERGEFIELD "Organization" }

{ MERGEFIELD "Name" }¶
{ IF { MERGEFIELD "Organization" } "" "{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }¶

"sandra" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Thanks in advance!

sandra

"Kathleen" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some
data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the
fields are
empty. How can I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sandra Sandra is offline

blink

Wow! That's amazingly convoluted to my mind. Thank you so much for the step
by step instructions as I would never in a million years have puzzled that
out.

I wonder why the process became so complicated when Office 2000 was so very
simple....

sandra

"Kathleen" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some
data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the
fields are
empty. How can I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In that case you need to use an If...then...Else field construction as
follows

{ MERGEFIELD City }¶
{ IF { MERGEFIELD County } "" "{ MERGEFIELD County }¶
{ MERGEFIELD PostCode }" "{ MERGEFIELD PostCode }" }¶

In the above, you must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters
{ } and you need to press the Enter key where the ¶ symbol is shown.

You can start by inserting the mergefields as follows

City ¶
County "" " County¶
PostCode" "PostCode" ¶

then use Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of the field codes and you will see

{ MERGEFIELD City }¶
{ MERGEFIELD County } "" "{ MERGEFIELD County }¶
{ MERGEFIELD PostCode }" "{ MERGEFIELD PostCode }" ¶

Then select the second and third lines, excluding the final paragraph mark
and press Ctrl+F9 which will then enclose those fields inside another pair
of field delimiters and then you just need to enter the IF in the position
shown.

Not the there are spaces either side of the and between the "" " in the
second line and between the " " in the third line.
--

wrote:
Use the SkipIf field to test if an appropriate mergefield is blank. If it
is, that record will be skipped.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

msnews.microsoft.com"Kathleen" wrote
in message

I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some
data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the
fields
are
empty. How can I do that?

I too have this issue. I don't think the above has answered this. I
don't want to go to the next record, I want the data field to be
skipped or not printed. Eg a London address does not have a County so
the postcode should be "pulled up" to appear under London. I don't
want the next address! Am I right Kathleen?

Nuno Santos Nuno Santos is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Robbins - Word MVP View Post

wrote:
[...]

Hello, sorry for dig this old post, but i'm came across this solution that is excelent, but i have one question: if i use this solution, how can i view all fields, even the ones that have no data? I'm trying to fix one of the fields because of the text to show before the value, and i can't seem to find it. Do I have to seach for a filed which have a value for that field?

I'm using Word 2010.

thanks

Last edited by Nuno Santos : May 15th 12 at 02:14 PM
Nuno Santos Nuno Santos is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Santos View Post
Hello, sorry for dig this old post, but i'm came across this solution that is excelent, but i have one question: if i use this solution, how can i view all fields, even the ones that have no data? I'm trying to fix one of the fields because of the text to show before the value, and i can't seem to find it. Do I have to seach for a filed which have a value for that field?

I'm using Word 2010.

thanks
I've found it: alt+F9