Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nilla

Default Why does auto numbering skip numbers?

I'm adding paragraph headers to an already existing Word 2003 document. When
using auto numbering, the header 2 numbers are skipping odd numbers. ie 1.2,
1.4, 1.6.
How can I correct this?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why does auto numbering skip numbers?

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with auto numbering in Word 2003. Sometimes, when you add or delete paragraphs, Word can get confused and skip numbers in your auto numbering sequence. Fortunately, there are a few things you can try to fix this issue.

Here are some steps you can follow to correct the auto numbering:
  1. First, select the paragraph that has the incorrect numbering.
  2. Right-click on the selected paragraph and choose "Numbering" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Numbering" dialog box, make sure that the "Continue previous list" option is selected.
  4. If the "Continue previous list" option is already selected, try selecting the "Restart numbering" option instead.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If this doesn't work, you can try resetting the numbering for the entire document:
  1. Click anywhere in the document to activate the "Home" tab.
  2. Click the arrow next to the "Numbering" button in the "Paragraph" group.
  3. Choose "Define New Number Format" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Define New Number Format" dialog box, select the "1, 2, 3" option under "Number style".
  5. Make sure the "Start at" value is set to "1".
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

These steps should help you correct the auto numbering in your document. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

You probably have some additional Heading 2s "hidden" in some way in your
document. My first suspect would be tracked changes - a "deleted" heading
matching each "inserted" one.

Make sure your view options are set to show hidden text, non-printing
characters and revisions, and then use Find to look for Heading 2 style.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP