Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Huber57 Huber57 is offline

Default Combine different docs and keep tracked changes

I have six separate documents all with tracked changes. I want to put them
all in one document and preserve the tracked changes. If I copy and paste I
lose my tracked changes. I cannot combine them because Word looks for
similiarities and overwrites one of the two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I have searched everywhere ... I
think)
Sincerely,

Doug
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Combine different docs and keep tracked changes

Hi Doug,

I understand your frustration with trying to combine multiple documents with tracked changes. Luckily, there is a way to do this without losing any of the tracked changes.

Here are the steps to combine multiple documents with tracked changes:
  1. Open a new blank document in Word.
  2. Go to the "Review" tab and click on "Compare" in the "Compare" group.
  3. In the "Compare Documents" dialog box, click on the "More" button.
  4. Select "Combine" from the dropdown menu and click "OK."
  5. In the "Combine Documents" dialog box, click on the "Add Files" button and select all of the documents you want to combine.
  6. Click "OK" to close the "Add Files" dialog box.
  7. In the "Combine Documents" dialog box, select "Original document" from the "Label unmarked changes with" dropdown menu.
  8. Click "OK" to combine the documents.

This will create a new document with all of the tracked changes from the original documents preserved. You can then review the changes and accept or reject them as needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Huber57 Huber57 is offline

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I also found out that the tracked changes must be off in the source document
as well as the document I am pasting into.

Sincerely,

Doug

.