Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chipwap chipwap is offline

Default Word 2007 Rotate printing for landscape pages

I want to change the orientation of my landscape page when it is printed. I
have a document with both portrait and landscape pages. The document will be
bound at the left edge (for portrait orientation). By default, the landscape
pages are printed with the bottom of the landscape page at the binder edge.
I want to rotate the printed page so that the top of the landscape page is at
the left (binder) edge. Also, I want page numbers to match the portrait
pages (i.e., at the bottom of the 8-1/2 x 11 page, even for landscape pages).
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007 Rotate printing for landscape pages

To change the orientation of your landscape page when it is printed, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Page Setup" group to open the "Page Setup" dialog box.
  3. In the "Page Setup" dialog box, click on the "Margins" tab.
  4. Under "Orientation," select "Landscape."
  5. Click on the "Paper" tab.
  6. Under "Paper Options," select "Portrait" for the "First page" and "Other pages" options.
  7. Click on the "Layout" tab.
  8. Under "Page," select "Different odd and even" for the "Headers and footers" option.
  9. Click on the "Header/Footer" tab.
  10. Under "Header," select "Blank" for "Odd pages" and "Even pages."
  11. Under "Footer," select "Blank" for "Odd pages" and "Even pages."
  12. Click "OK" to close the "Page Setup" dialog box.

These steps should rotate the printed page so that the top of the landscape page is at the left (binder) edge and ensure that the page numbers match the portrait pages (i.e., at the bottom of the 8-1/2 x 11 page, even for landscape pages).
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Y2hpcHdhcA==?=,

I want to change the orientation of my landscape page when it is printed. I
have a document with both portrait and landscape pages. The document will be
bound at the left edge (for portrait orientation). By default, the landscape
pages are printed with the bottom of the landscape page at the binder edge.
I want to rotate the printed page so that the top of the landscape page is at
the left (binder) edge. Also, I want page numbers to match the portrait
pages (i.e., at the bottom of the 8-1/2 x 11 page, even for landscape pages).

Select each page that should be rotated, then in File/Page Setup change the
orientation. Word will insert section breaks for each orientation change.

You'll have to define your own headers and footers for the rotated sections.
Word unfortunately doesn't do this for you. First go through each section
(orientation change) in the header/footer view and turn off "Same as Previous".

Now create a rotated header/footer. In Word 2002 I usually use a Table and
rotate the text by 90 (or 270) degrees.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chipwap chipwap is offline

Thanks, Cindy. I know how to change a page to landscape orientation. But
when this page is printed, I want it rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise,
not 90 degrees clockwise. This results in an output for a table or graph
that is easier to read in a bound document and this orientation is the
industry standard for technical documents, i.e., with the top of the graph or
table to the left side of the document, when holding the page vertically. I
know I could go in and manually rotate each printed landscape page by 180
degrees, but in a large document this is very inconvenient.

I think I see how to do the page numbers (thanks for that), but how do I
prevent having to manually rotate the printed page, short of aligning my text
at 180 degrees (i.e., upside down on the computer monitor, but printed
correctly)?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Y2hpcHdhcA==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Y2hpcHdhcA==?=,

But
when this page is printed, I want it rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise,
not 90 degrees clockwise. This results in an output for a table or graph
that is easier to read in a bound document and this orientation is the
industry standard for technical documents, i.e., with the top of the graph or
table to the left side of the document, when holding the page vertically.

Interesting. In every version of Word, on every machine I've ever used, rotating
counter-clockwise has been the default. Including Word 2007 (I just tested to be
absolutely sure).

Could this be an issue with your printer driver? If you try changing it to the
"industry standard" HP laserjet III do you see anything different?

Or might you have some kind of right-to-left commands in force?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chipwap chipwap is offline

Hmmm. This has been a pet-peeve of mine since the beginning of time (well,
since the beginning of Microsoft Word) on many different printers. A
landscape oriented Table will print with the top on the right-hand side of an
8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. This is a clockwise rotation. I guess I probably
need to continue to manually rotate the page after printing.

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Some inkjet printers that output face up do rotate this way, whereas laser
printers (which output face down) tend to rotate the "right" way. There may
be a setting in your printer driver governing this, or a different driver
may give different results (the rotation on one of my DeskJets was changed
by an updated driver).

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)