Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
TeriK TeriK is offline

Default Border on table when text flows over page

I have a very complex table 230 pages. The text in one column flows to the
around the outside of the table even though the text flows to the next page.
Anyone able to help. If I put a top or bottom border it puts at the top of
the cell - when the text flows I need it where the page break is.
Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Border on table when text flows over page

Adding a border around a table

To add a border around the outside of the table, even when the text flows to the next page, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the entire table by clicking and dragging your mouse over it.
  2. In the "Table Tools" tab that appears at the top of the screen, click on the "Design" tab.
  3. In the "Table Styles" section, click on the "Borders" drop-down menu.
  4. Choose the type of border you want to add to your table. For example, you could choose "All Borders" to add a border around the entire table.
  5. If the border is not appearing where the text flows to the next page, you can adjust the cell margins to move the text away from the page break. To do this, right-click on the table and select "Table Properties."
  6. In the "Table Properties" dialog box, click on the "Cell" tab.
  7. Under "Options," adjust the "Top" and "Bottom" cell margins to move the text away from the page break. You may need to experiment with different margin sizes to find the right one for your table.
  8. Click "OK" to apply the changes.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

What you want is standard behaviour for Word tables, except in one instance,
if say column 1 is made up of several merged rows, but column 2 still has
individual rows, unfortuantely column 1 will not have a border at the bottom
of the page as the column/row crosses into a new page.
If this is not the case, please come back with more details, and the Word
version you are using (that always helps).
All the best
DeanH

"TeriK" wrote:

I have a very complex table 230 pages. The text in one column flows to the
around the outside of the table even though the text flows to the next page.
Anyone able to help. If I put a top or bottom border it puts at the top of
the cell - when the text flows I need it where the page break is.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

except in one instance

There's another instance when you don't have borders at the top or bottom of
rows that straddle page breaks:

When you select the whole table and go into the "Borders and Shading"
dialog, you'll see on the right a box (outside borders) with a horizontal
line and a vertical line (inside borders).
The lines between (non-split) rows are those *inside* borders.
The lines at the top and bottom of the table (whether it's split across
pages or not) are the *outside* borders.

So if someone removed the top and bottom borders, you don't have borders on
rows that are split by page breaks.
The table can still have a top border if one was added to the very first
row, same with the bottom border at the bottom.

In that case, you'd just have to select the table and put in all outside and
inside borders again.

Klaus