Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ambanff ambanff is offline

Default Restart heading numbering in each new section of a Word 2007 docum

I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each comprising
a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in
Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on through
the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
document?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Restart heading numbering in each new section of a Word 2007 docum

To restart heading numbering in each new section of a Word 2007 document, you can follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor at the beginning of the section where you want to restart the numbering.
  2. Go to the "Page Layout" tab on the ribbon and click on "Breaks" in the "Page Setup" group.
  3. Select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks".
  4. Go to the first heading in the new section and select it.
  5. Go to the "Home" tab on the ribbon and click on the arrow next to the "Multilevel List" button in the "Paragraph" group.
  6. Select "Define New Multilevel List" from the drop-down menu.
  7. In the "Define New Multilevel List" dialog box, make sure the "1" is selected under "Click level to modify".
  8. Under "Enter formatting for number", select the numbering format you want to use for the first level of headings in this section.
  9. Under "Enter formatting for number", select "Start at" and enter "1" in the box.
  10. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  11. Repeat steps 7-10 for each level of headings you want to restart the numbering for.
  12. Your headings should now be numbered starting at 1 in each new section of the document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First of all, although there may be other good reasons for using Word 2007,
you can have an "automated" TOC and index in any version of Word. And the
best way to restart numbering is with a higher-level style. You can have an
unnumbered style for Level 1 and start the numbering at Level 2. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm

I would advise using Heading 1 for your chapter title and Heading 2 for your
first-level subhead. OTOH, when you restart numbering in each chapter, it's
conventional to add the chapter number to the lower levels, so you might use
Heading 1 for the chapter number instead of the chapter title.

http://word.mvps.org

"ambanff" wrote in message
I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
comprising
a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in
Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
through
the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Suzanne has said, for details on setting up a multilevel list, you may find the article at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html useful.

Note, however, that the article wasn't written for Word 2007. In that version, you can use Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List to create your numbering. If you are trying to edit an existing list, place the insertion point in the first level 1 item (for heading numbering, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document) before clicking the command.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ambanff" wrote in message
I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
comprising
a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided
in
Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
through
the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ambanff ambanff is offline

Default Restart heading numbering in each new section of a Word 2007 d

Thank you for your help, Suzanne and Stefan.
Problem solved. I tried out your hints on a blank setup and it works
perfectly. Now to take the plunge with the thesis.

Alan Macgregor

BTW I switched to Word 2007 because TOC and particularly Index in Word 2003
had a very bad reputation with the University Library and IT staff, and on a
Word Long Documents course in late 2004 we were warned off using them, as
they could be a bit quirky. I learned that this had been ironed out in Word
2007, hence my shift to Word 2007

"ambanff" wrote in message
I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx
format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing).
My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each
comprising
a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in
Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on
through
the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine.
How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the
document?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome.

By the way, good luck with your thesis! :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP