Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Milton
 
Posts: n/a
Default Adding Research Services

How do I add Encyclopedia Britannica, to which I already subscribe, to my
Word 2003 Research Task Pane? When I type in www.britannica.com in the "Add
Services" dialog box of the Research Options, I get the message "No services
were added because the provided did not provide any valid information".
  #2   Report Post  
Mary Sauer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

When I click the URL you supplied I get a "page not found." I am referred to
http://www.britannica.com/. Might be you need to include the "http://"

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Milton" wrote in message
...
How do I add Encyclopedia Britannica, to which I already subscribe, to my
Word 2003 Research Task Pane? When I type in www.britannica.com in the "Add
Services" dialog box of the Research Options, I get the message "No services
were added because the provided did not provide any valid information".



  #3   Report Post  
Milton
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you, Mary, but including the http:// did not cause it to work.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

When I click the URL you supplied I get a "page not found." I am referred to
http://www.britannica.com/. Might be you need to include the "http://"

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Milton" wrote in message
...
How do I add Encyclopedia Britannica, to which I already subscribe, to my
Word 2003 Research Task Pane? When I type in www.britannica.com in the "Add
Services" dialog box of the Research Options, I get the message "No services
were added because the provided did not provide any valid information".




  #4   Report Post  
Jay Freedman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm venturing into territory where I have very little direct
knowledge, but my understanding is that the Research Pane sends
requests to "web services" -- specific types of applications that
"speak" a particular protocol. The URL you have is simply the HTML
front page of Brittanica's web site, not a web service (if indeed they
offer one).

Since you have a subscription, contact Brittanica's customer service
department and ask whether they offer a web service that Office can
talk to, and how to access it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:02:01 -0700, Milton
wrote:

Thank you, Mary, but including the http:// did not cause it to work.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

When I click the URL you supplied I get a "page not found." I am referred to
http://www.britannica.com/. Might be you need to include the "http://"

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Milton" wrote in message
...
How do I add Encyclopedia Britannica, to which I already subscribe, to my
Word 2003 Research Task Pane? When I type in www.britannica.com in the "Add
Services" dialog box of the Research Options, I get the message "No services
were added because the provided did not provide any valid information".




  #5   Report Post  
Milton
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you, Jay. I have contacted Britannica and they said they would look in
to the problem from their end. But since then I tried to add a free online
encyclopedia and got the same disappointing result.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

I'm venturing into territory where I have very little direct
knowledge, but my understanding is that the Research Pane sends
requests to "web services" -- specific types of applications that
"speak" a particular protocol. The URL you have is simply the HTML
front page of Brittanica's web site, not a web service (if indeed they
offer one).

Since you have a subscription, contact Brittanica's customer service
department and ask whether they offer a web service that Office can
talk to, and how to access it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:02:01 -0700, Milton
wrote:

Thank you, Mary, but including the http:// did not cause it to work.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

When I click the URL you supplied I get a "page not found." I am referred to
http://www.britannica.com/. Might be you need to include the "http://"

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Milton" wrote in message
...
How do I add Encyclopedia Britannica, to which I already subscribe, to my
Word 2003 Research Task Pane? When I type in www.britannica.com in the "Add
Services" dialog box of the Research Options, I get the message "No services
were added because the provided did not provide any valid information".




Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how can i get the research and look up words service for office? Klashx Microsoft Word Help 1 July 9th 05 12:47 AM
how do i turn off the research feature initiated by alt click? kslong Microsoft Word Help 3 June 7th 05 12:39 AM
Research (Alt-Click) shortcut change Nora Najem Microsoft Word Help 1 May 11th 05 02:39 PM
Encarta Dictionary and Other Research Services Not Available TrungVan Microsoft Word Help 0 March 29th 05 05:41 PM
Allow me to change word's "Research" hotkey to NOT be alt+click jgould3141 Microsoft Word Help 0 January 6th 05 12:59 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Word"