Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff

Default regaining old settings

Hi

I needed to restore my C partition (Windows and Apps, not data) from a
somewhat older image backup and now see that I've lost my macros and Word
customizations. I guess they were in C too. Earlier restore points also
seem to have been removed.

Is there any other way to regain the macros and Word customizations?

Thanks

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:04:56 -0500, "Jeff" wrote:

Hi

I needed to restore my C partition (Windows and Apps, not data) from a
somewhat older image backup and now see that I've lost my macros and Word
customizations. I guess they were in C too. Earlier restore points also
seem to have been removed.

Is there any other way to regain the macros and Word customizations?

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, you're most likely out of luck. The macros and toolbars would
be in one or more templates, probably Normal.dot unless you
deliberately stored them elsewhere. The template(s) would be in the
folder listed as "User Templates" in the Tools Options File
Locations dialog. Some other customizations would be in the registry.

Unless you had an independent backup of the templates and the
registry, the customizations are gone for good.

Having been bitten, you should now know the value of the advice at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm. This is in
addition to backups of documents
(http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SVC

Word macros and customizations are stored in the global template Normal.dot.
If you have saved a copy of your most recent version of this template, you
can restore it to the appropriate folder (depends on the version of Word) to
regain your "lost" macros and customizations. If you don't have a copy of
your most recent Normal.dot, you have probably lost the macros and
customizations.

"Jeff" wrote:

Hi

I needed to restore my C partition (Windows and Apps, not data) from a
somewhat older image backup and now see that I've lost my macros and Word
customizations. I guess they were in C too. Earlier restore points also
seem to have been removed.

Is there any other way to regain the macros and Word customizations?

Thanks

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff

Jay Freedman wrote:
[...]

I was afraid that was the case, but thought to ask. I'll know better next
time.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TedMi

By default, Word stores user templates in a folder deep under the user's ID
folder of C:\Documents and Settings. You can reset this with Tools --
Options -- File Locations to another location, say on a drive or folder that
you back up regularly.
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff

TedMi wrote:
By default, Word stores user templates in a folder deep under the
user's ID folder of C:\Documents and Settings. You can reset this
with Tools -- Options -- File Locations to another location, say on
a drive or folder that you back up regularly.

Thanks. That is what I need to do. I backup my data partitions frequently
but my system partition much less frequently since nothing changes much
except - as I now realize - those application settings and the registry.

I wish there was a way to move the registry and C:\Documents and Settings to
my data partition.

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TedMi

Usual practice is to do a separate backup of the Documents & Settings folder.
Each user's registry is included under the user ID folder. You may want to
set up a procedure to clear out temp files before the backup.
--
Ted

Word changes indent and tab settings when I restart numbering Mary Lee Microsoft Word Help 3 April 23rd 05 03:36 AM
NONE TO HELP !!!! - ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 14th 05 12:33 AM
ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 5th 05 12:05 PM
Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 11:11 AM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 February 2nd 05 04:23 PM