Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson

Default minimize symbol missing

I have Word 2002. The problem is on my documents I have no way to minimize
them - the blue bar at the top of the document is missing which means the
three symbols on the far right are missing. Ergo, I can not minimize,
maximize, close or drag the document - only the entire program.

A. Baba
Blue Master

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm guessing that Word is in a Normal window that has gotten pushed above
the top of the screen. If so, right-click on the document's Taskbar button
and choose Move. You will then be able to use the arrow keys or the mouse to
drag the window down. Once you have it where you can see it, I would suggest
that you save the document (if necessary) and quit Word to make sure it will
remember this window position. When you restart Word, the window should be
where you left it.

Actually, rereading your post, I suspect that you have not understood that
in Word 2002 each document has its own window. The title bar you see is for
the document, and the buttons are for the document window, not the entire
application.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have Word 2002. The problem is on my documents I have no way to

minimize
them - the blue bar at the top of the document is missing which means the
three symbols on the far right are missing. Ergo, I can not minimize,
maximize, close or drag the document - only the entire program.

A. Baba
Blue Master

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson

#1 - Yes, that was my thinking that the blue bar was hidden above out of
sight. But there is no way to access it with my cursor. All I get is the
'ruler' dropping down.
As to trying your 'Move' suggestion - I can not identify 'Move' on my task
bar. When I put the cursor on the various symbols, no name pops up to
identify them - but trying them blindly has not helped either. This makes
me think the default file is corrupted.

#2 - Yes, I do understand that each document has its own window and the
title bar for that document window is what is missing. It is suddenly
missing in all my docs - even the ten year old ones - I don't really seem to
have a document window as I knew it.

I note that now, when I open Word, the default does not give me a document
view with title bar nor do I get one when I 'create new document'. I am
lucky to be able to close each individual document thanks to an 'X' at the
far right end of the menu bar (after Type a Question for Help) or I would
have to close the program to close a document. I also note that in Excel -
where I have the proper document window with Title Bar, that 'X' does not
appear.

Thanks so much for your help - hoping you will stick with me to solve
this - there is obviously a switch somewhere to return this to the way it
used to be.

Ron
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I'm guessing that Word is in a Normal window that has gotten pushed above
the top of the screen. If so, right-click on the document's Taskbar button
and choose Move. You will then be able to use the arrow keys or the mouse
drag the window down. Once you have it where you can see it, I would
suggest
that you save the document (if necessary) and quit Word to make sure it
will
remember this window position. When you restart Word, the window should be
where you left it.

Actually, rereading your post, I suspect that you have not understood that
in Word 2002 each document has its own window. The title bar you see is
for
the document, and the buttons are for the document window, not the entire
application.

so
all may benefit.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have Word 2002. The problem is on my documents I have no way to

minimize
them - the blue bar at the top of the document is missing which means
the
three symbols on the far right are missing. Ergo, I can not minimize,
maximize, close or drag the document - only the entire program.

A. Baba
Blue Master

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Okay, let's start over. The Taskbar is not something in Word; it's in
Windows, usually at the bottom of the screen. It may be displayed all the
time or it may auto hide depending on your settings. On the Taskbar, you
have a button for your Word document. Right-click on that button and you
will have a menu that includes Minimize, Maximize, Restore, Move, and Close.
If I'm correct in my assumption, Restore will be dimmed (because Word is
already open in a Normal window). Choose Move, and then you will be able to
use the arrow keys on the keyboard or grab the window with the four-headed
arrow.

nk.net...

#2 - Yes, I do understand that each document has its own window and the
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have Word 2002. The problem is on my documents I have no way to

minimize
them - the blue bar at the top of the document is missing which means
the
three symbols on the far right are missing. Ergo, I can not minimize,
maximize, close or drag the document - only the entire program.

A. Baba
Blue Master

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick

Can it be that "Windows in Taskbar" is now turned on and it's a setting you're
not used to? Try Tools | Options | View and unchecking "Windows in Taskbar".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick

Can it be that "Windows in Taskbar" is now turned on and it's a setting you're
not used to? Try Tools | Options | View and unchecking "Windows in Taskbar".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson

Thanks Suzanne -
In all these years I have never put my cursor on the task bar icon and
right clicked to it to minimize etc. So now at least I can minimize a
document. At least that is accomplished. Also, I have now found the 'Move'
function on the task bar icon. Thank you. And yes, clicking on Move put
the
'4 headed arrow symbol' on the doc, but moving the symbol accomplishes
nothing.

So, we still have a problem. As I recall every document used to load with
its own blue title bar with the three symbols (min', max'. and close) at the
far right. I could move the doc by this title bar and control it with those
symbols. I am still missing that. With your method I can now minimize the
doc, but I really want my
title bar back. Some grinch stole my title bar. ;-)
Your thoughts?
Ron

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Okay, let's start over. The Taskbar is not something in Word; it's in
Windows, usually at the bottom of the screen. It may be displayed all the
time or it may auto hide depending on your settings. On the Taskbar, you
have a button for your Word document. Right-click on that button and you
will have a menu that includes Minimize, Maximize, Restore, Move, and
Close.
If I'm correct in my assumption, Restore will be dimmed (because Word is
already open in a Normal window). Choose Move, and then you will be able
use the arrow keys on the keyboard or grab the window with the four-headed
arrow.

so
all may benefit.

nk.net...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick

Well ... did you try what I suggested?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson

Thanks Rick. Yes, I tried it. Could not see where it made any difference.
I tried it both checked and unchecked on several files and they are all
still missing the blue title bar.
I also note that this 'switch' is for the view setting on each individual
document.

The Title Bar has disappeared from all my Word files. When I create a new
file, there is no blue Title bar. Maybe my template is corrupted?
The grinch stole my title bar and will not give it back. ;-) Any other
ideas?

"Rick" wrote in message
Well ... did you try what I suggested?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick

Ron, the difference should be that when it's not checked, you should be seeing
the minimize, restore and close buttons next to the "Type a question for help"
box. You will only get a title bar per document when Word is in MDI mode (when
Windows in Taskbar is OFF) and ONLY when the document has been "windowed", that
is, restored.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick

On the other hand, if Windows in Taskbar is checked, then each document should
have its own button on the Windows taskbar next to the Start button. In this
scenario, if you create 2 documents, do you not see the title bars when jumping
between them? If not, do you at least see the Menu bar and the Standard and
Formatting toolbars?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson

Rick, I finally understand how it works and got the task bar back. The key
was the doc had to be 'windowed' - then restored to get the task bar back
and the Windows in Taskbar switch had to be right. And I have the 'Windows
in Taskbar' figured out now. The Grinch has returned my taskbar.

Thanking both you and Suzanne for your forbearance,
I am,
The A. Baba
Blue Master