Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.setup.networking
Dan

Default Creating areas for editing

I want to create a word document where i want only certain areas to be
allowed to edit. Like a form where i would have a line that said Name and
then next to it will be a gray highlighted area that the user can write in
and not be able to change anything else. How do i do this? I seen this in
some other word docs but cant figure out how they do it.

tia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.setup.networking
Dawn Crosier

They used the Forms toolbar to create fill-in areas. Then they
protected the document. There is a series of tutorials which should
help get you started.

Go to this page - about half way down, look for the series called
"Please Fill Out This Form"
http://www.mousetrax.com/TechPage.html#autoforms - pay particular
attention to Parts 1 through 4. You can skip 5 until you decide you
want to take the answers and populate a database.

Have Fun!

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"Dan" wrote in message
I want to create a word document where i want only certain areas to
be allowed to edit. Like a form where i would have a line that said
Name and then next to it will be a gray highlighted area that the
user can write in and not be able to change anything else. How do i
do this? I seen this in some other word docs but cant figure out how
they do it.

tia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.setup.networking
Klaus Linke

Hi Dan,

Which version?
One possibility that works in older versions is a protected form. I guess
that is what you have seen.
You insert some text form fields, and then protect the document (or the
section) for forms.
For some tutorials, see Charles Kenyon's list:
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms
There's lots of stuff you can do with forms, such as restricting or
validating input, setting the tab order, ...

In 2003, you can (multiple) select the areas that can be edited, using the
Ctrl key.
Then you can protect the rest against editing changes from the "Protect
Document" task pane.
That's simpler, but not so powerful.

Regards,
Klaus