Peyton Todd

Default Somebody please help me understand Listnums and Cross-references!

Hello. I am writing a linguistics paper, and in this field it is standard
practice for example sentences to be given numbers in parentheses, e.g.,
(23), then to be referenced within the text by the same number, again in
parentheses. Somehow - I forgot how now - I managed to get it to work, so
now, instead of what appears to be the default for a Listnum field, namely
lower case Roman numerals, my Listnums appear as they should, with
parentheses around Arabic numerals. Also I managed to figure out that this
information is stored in a little dot to the left of headings. So now
whenever I want to write another paper, I copy in a heading from one that has
the correctly formatted 'dot'. (I don't mean 'document template', I mean dot,
like a period.)

But sometimes this system goes awry. Say, if I stuff in a heading somewhere
just by selecting a heading from the list of styles in the tool bar at the
upper left. And then everything reverts back to the lower case Roman numeral
system, and sometimes I can't get it back even by deleting the heading I had
chosen. Also, unless I have a style with the word 'heading' in its name, my
heading never seems to appear in the document map, and I want it to appear in
the document map.

What determines these whether a heading appears in the document map? Could
it really be the fact of having the word 'heading' in the style names? How
did I ever get it my numbers to appear as Arabic numerals with parentheses
around them as they should, so in the future I won't have to achieve the
effect by the above-described circuitous route? If I just copy the dot I
finally got to work to other headings in the document, I lose the
hierarchical relations in the document map. And why can't I seem to select
the dot directly? How can I edit what' in it?

Please help! Or if you know a good book I should buy which explains all
this, please let me know of it.

Thanks!
--
Peyton Todd

I think you're thoroughly confused! To begin with, the "dot" you're seeing
in the margin (actually a square bullet) just means that the paragraph in
question has one of certain kinds of formatting (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm). In this case, it is
"Keep with next," which is applied to Headings 1-4 by default. You can apply
autonumbering to heading styles (and you can use either arabic or roman
numerals, and you can have parentheses around them), and if you apply a
numbered heading style to your example sentence, it will be formatted the
way you want. Because both autonumbered paragraphs (regardless of style) and
paragraphs in any of Word's built-in heading styles (with or without
numbers) are among the choices in Insert | Cross-reference (Insert |
Reference | Cross-reference in Word 2002 and 2003), it is easy to
cross-reference the paragraph number of these numbered headings.

So what you need to do in this case is (a) decide what style you want to use
for your example sentences (it need not be a heading style), (b) modify that
style to include numbering in the format you require, and (c) apply that
style when you want a numbered example sentence. Cross-references will take
care of themselves because you will find the numbered paragraphs listed in
the Cross-reference dialog under "Numbered items."

What determines whether a paragraph appears in the document map is its
outline level. Word's built-in headings have built-in (and immutable)
outline levels--Level 1 for Heading 1, Level 2 for Heading 2, and so on. You
can assign any outline level you like to any other style (in the Format |
Paragraph dialog). This will cause it to occupy that hierarchical position
in the Document Map, Outline view, and the TOC.

Does this help?

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Peyton Todd

Thanks Suzanne! I'll be studying up on those points right away. I do have one
quick question, though, if you don't mind. I'm sure you're right about the
square bullets, but in my documents there is at least one square bullet which
contains the info for my preferred arabic-numerals-cum-parentheses. I know
this because I always have to go fetch it from some other document to make my
numbers work right. When I stuff it in at the top of the document, the
numbers work as I want, and when I don't, they don't. How did that
information get put into the dot? And do the sub-headings I put in later
override it some how? Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Believe me, the data is not stored in the "dot"; it is stored in the style.
When you paste a paragraph in that style into your document, it is
overriding the document's resident style (presumably unused). This is not
the best way to construct documents. You should instead create a template
that contains a style formatted with the desired numbering style, then base
your new documents on that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Margaret Aldis

Hi Peyton

I think I've an idea of what is happening here. My guess is that when you
copy the 'dot' what you are copying is a numbered paragraph (probably a
heading, which has 'keep with next' set and therefore displays the 'dot').
From then on, any plain LISTNUM fields (no field switches) will pick up that
numbering format. (That would be why inserting numbered headings changes the
numbered format.)

As Suzanne says, the best way to get control over numbering is to use a
numbered paragraph style. However, if you do want to stick with LISTNUM
fields (because the sentence numbers appear somewhere other than the very
start of a para, for instance) then what you need to do is set up the
numbering format you need (using Format Bullets and Numbering Outline
Numbering) and give it a LISTNUM field list name (you do this in the More
.... section of the customize dialog). Then when you insert a LISTNUM field
you will see the name you created in the 'List name' box - select this,
check 'level in list' and set to 1. (Once you have done this once you can
copy and paste the field or better still save as AutoText to make it easy to
insert again.)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP