Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuck Lewis - Engineer, but not a geek.

Default how do I disinstall Word installed in new PC. I prefer Wordpad

1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't want
it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want to remove it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from previous
computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of Word to a standard
My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Chuck

If you don't want MS Word on your computer, go to Add/Remove Programs and
take it off..

Microsoft don't include MS Word, trial version or full.. the computer vendor
does it to 'add value' to the product.. did you ask the vendor what was
included in the package at the point of purchase?..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Chuck Lewis - Engineer, but not a geek." Chuck Lewis - Engineer, but not a
wrote in message
1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't want
it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want to remove
it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from previous
computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of Word to a
standard
My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Galen

In ,
Chuck Lewis - Engineer, but not a geek. had this to say:

1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't
want it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want
to remove it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from
previous computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of
Word to a standard My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you

Microsoft didn't. The seller of the PC did?

Start
Settings
Control Panel
Classic View
Add/Remove
Remove the Office stuff as it's only a trial it seems...

Start
Run
Type "control folders"
Hit enter
Click the file types tab
Scroll to .txt
Associate that with wordpad or notepad

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
Sherlock Holmes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote in message
1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't

want
it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want to

remove
it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from previous
computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of Word to a
standard
My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you

Thanks very much for your help.

Chuck Lewis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

Funny... people come here more often to complain that they paid
$300 for a new computer and think that their new computer should
have come with $400 worth of Microsoft Office software for free.

Chuck wrote:

1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't want
it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want to remove it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from previous
computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of Word to a standard
My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Galen" wrote:

[...]

Well said, my helpful expert.
Dr. Watson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

That they are, but why do some automatically blame BG?.. doesn't anybody ask
the vendor questions other than like "do they do it in green because we
would like it to match the curtains?"..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Most likely it's the Office 2003 trial version, which most vendors are
throwing in (at no cost to them or the buyer).

so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't

want
it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want to

remove
it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from previous
computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of Word to a
standard
My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is a point at which the options become so overwhelming that, having
made as many decisions as you can stand to make, you just say, "Whatever
comes with it." And of course some people just buy an off-the-shelf package
(especially if they buy a computer at an office or technology superstore as
opposed to configuring it online with, say, Dell).

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
That they are, but why do some automatically blame BG?.. doesn't anybody

ask
the vendor questions other than like "do they do it in green because we
would like it to match the curtains?"..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Most likely it's the Office 2003 trial version, which most vendors are
throwing in (at no cost to them or the buyer).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
1. Word was pre-installed in new computer on a trial basis. I don't

want
it. Wordpad is all I need. If I can't deactivate Word, I want to

remove
it.

2. Also, My Documents file from backup hard drive folder from

previous
computer is controlled by Word. How do I move this out of Word to a
standard
My Documents file in new computer.

Microsoft shouldn't impose unasked-for commercial software in a new
computer. Offer the opportunity. Bill Gates should know better.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

THANK YOU! I was beginning to think that I was the only person who
understood that point.

One pan of lasagna for Garfield!
--

JoAnn Paules