Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grover

Default Mailmerge asks for table whne setting up lables....

After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I loaded Word 2003

Your best bet, particularly if you were using Word 2000 or earlier is to
check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and reconnect,
selecting the DDE option when offered (you will only see the last sheet you
had open). It's also useful to enable the Mailmerge toolbar, e.g. in
Tools|Customize|Toolbars, because it doesn't appear/disappear automatically
like the old one in Word 2000/97 etc.

The dialog box with the "equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc." options is
the query options dialog which you can get to using the 3rd button down in
the /old/ Mail Merge Helper. In Word 2003 you can use the "Mailmerge
recipients" button on the Mailmerge toolbar, then either select the records
in there, or click the top of one of the columns and choose the
"Advanced..." option to get the dialog. Or, you can go into
Tools|Customize|Commands, select category All Commands, locate the
MailMergeQueryOptions command in the right hand column and drag it to a
toolbar (such as the mailmerge toolbar)

Peter Jamieson

b. i

grover wrote in message ...
After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grover

Many thanks for the reply! I can now produce lables, but I have one
more question if I may...

I added a column to the spreadsheet, "bad Address", but it doesn't
show up as part of the selection criteria. All the other columns are
there....... Environment is all Office 2003.

Thanks again.

grover wrote in message ...
After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Did it appear in the list of columns available for insertion? If not, you
probably need to go through the connection process again to see the new
column in the spreadsheet. If it did, not sure what is happening...

Peter Jamieson

wrote:

[...]

grover wrote in message
. ..
After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grover

Thanks again Peter

No, the two columns I have added in the Excel sheet don't appear as
part of the selection criteria. I've shut down and restarted all to no
avail. The values in the two suspect columns are not-numeric, but DDE
shouldn't care, right?

grover wrote in message
After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

But did you try going through selecting the data source again? I wasn't sure
from your message. Just restarting Word (or Windows) probably won't make any
difference.

The values in the two suspect columns are not-numeric, but DDE
shouldn't care, right?

Right.

Peter Jamieson

wrote:

Did it appear in the list of columns available for insertion? If not, you
probably need to go through the connection process again to see the new
column in the spreadsheet. If it did, not sure what is happening...

Peter Jamieson

. ..

wrote:

[...]

grover wrote in message
m...
After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grover

Yup - I shut down and restarted the link. What is the right way to
re-establish the DDE link? Is the link pervasive - carries over from
the last linked session? When I connect (select DDE) it goes through
a lot of gyrations before presenting me with the recipients....

Another thing.... when I linked before, it gave me 3 shoices of the
"range" to connect to - entire spreadsheet, filter database, or print
area. Now, it only lets me see one of them - the other two have
vanished.

I tried saving as a .CSV from Excel and linking to that, and then I
could see the added columns..... Selection by criteria seems to be
"flakely" - I'm using an * to flag the records that I want to pick -
am going to try using a different character - a search in the Excel
produced over 4,000 hits, and there should be only 50 or so.....

I really appreciate your help - and it must be really late in the UK
(used to live in Swindon),,,,

wrote:

[...]

grover wrote in message
om...
After a crash, I loaded Word 2003.

I do a yearly mailing, with the data contained in an Excel workbook. I
used to be able to set up the lable, pint to the data source
spreadsheet, and get a form where I could select, for different
fields, equal to, or blank, or non blank, etc.

Now, when I "get data" from the spreadsheed, it asks me to select a
"table", and gives me choices - such as alpha$, etc. - none of which
connect to my desired data......

What am I doing wrong? I've even added the old Helper to my tool bar
with the same results..

thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Yup - I shut down and restarted the link. What is the right way to
re-establish the DDE link?

It sounds like you did it the right way...

Is the link pervasive - carries over from
the last linked session?

When Word saves/closes the document, it saves various pieces of information
that enable it to recreate the connection, including filters etc. If you
save the document in HTML form (as well as DOC form) then re-open the HTML
in Notepad, or as plain text within Word, you can see what it saves,
although I can't be certain the HTML saves exactly the same info as the .doc
version.

Another thing.... when I linked before

DDE sees one sheet, typically the first one (it could be the one you had
open when you last saved the workbook). (Actually, DDE sees all the sheets
but Word only seems to be able to get data from one of them)

Assuming the dialog box now shows

Title: Microsoft Excel
Named or cell range (text box), showing Entire Spreadsheet
A list box showing Entire Spreadsheet

in addition to Entire Spreadsheet, you should see any named ranges in the
sheet see n by DDE. That would include names created using
Insert|Name|Define and e.g. a name "_FilterDatabase" created when you use
Data|ist|Create List.

If you had those before and you aren't seeing them now, I'd guess that your
Excel sheet is either damaged, or was created in an older version of Excel -
in either case, I'd probably try recreating it, recreating any names and
lists, and see what happens.

Peter Jamieson

wrote:

But did you try going through selecting the data source again? I wasn't
sure
from your message. Just restarting Word (or Windows) probably won't make
any
difference.

The values in the two suspect columns are not-numeric, but DDE
shouldn't care, right?

Right.

Peter Jamieson

. ..

wrote:

Did it appear in the list of columns available for insertion? If not,
you
probably need to go through the connection process again to see the new
column in the spreadsheet. If it did, not sure what is happening...

Peter Jamieson

m...

news:ln1n42to7lqin0esp7gttpskglqm5t93hb@4ax. com...