Francine

Default Another problem opening Word 2003

When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works. How can I
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Francine

Thank you Suzanne. I followed your instructions but couldn't figure out what
to do after I found the template (which was blank).

--

Francine

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works. How can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

The article makes this pretty clear, I think: change the zoom, then press
the Spacebar and Backspace, then Save. These were the last three of the five
steps, the first two being to find and open Normal.dot.

"Francine" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne. I followed your instructions but couldn't figure out

what
to do after I found the template (which was blank).

--

Francine

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print

Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works. How

can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Francine

Thank you. I did everything you suggested. The thing is, it was already set
to normal view. But still sometimes when I open Word it opens in Print
Layout.

I am also having problems opening Word itself. Sometimes it opens full
screen and sometimes it opens smaller and I have to click on the full screen
button at the top right. I'm using Word 2003.

--

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print

Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works. How

can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

You can absolutely make Word start Maximized by setting this in the
Properties of the shortcut used to start Word. As for the view and zoom,
this is definitely problematic in Word 2003, which seems to have a mind of
its own. Most of the time it will start in the view in which you closed it,
but the only way to really force it to open in a specific view is with an
AutoExec or AutoNew macro.

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print

Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works. How

can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Graham Mayor

The macros required to force the preferred view will be:

Sub AutoNew()
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdNormalView
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
End With
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdNormalView
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
End With
End Sub

If you prefer a different level of zoom from 100% change the number in both

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

"Francine" wrote in message
Thank you. I did everything you suggested. The thing is, it was
already set to normal view. But still sometimes when I open Word it
opens in Print Layout.

I am also having problems opening Word itself. Sometimes it opens
full screen and sometimes it opens smaller and I have to click on
the full screen button at the top right. I'm using Word 2003.

--

Francine

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The article makes this pretty clear, I think: change the zoom, then
press the Spacebar and Backspace, then Save. These were the last
three of the five
steps, the first two being to find and open Normal.dot.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the
Print Layout view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing
I try works. How can I
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Francine

Thank you Suzanne. Today it's been opening maximized every time, until just
now! I just set the shortcut to open maximized so I hope things will be ok
now. Also, so far it's been opening in normal view. If I have problems
again, I'll be sure to check back in here.

Thanks again.
--

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print
Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works.
How
can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Francine

Well, even now the shortcut doesn't even open the program maximized. Any
other suggestions? It's checked to run maximized but won't open maximized
every time.

--

Francine

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the Print
Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works.
How
can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

I'm afraid I can't come up with any explanation for this. Are you sure
you're using the same shortcut every time? (And note that this will take
effect only if you start Word from the shortcut, not if you double-click on
a document to open Word.)

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the

Print
Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try works.
How
can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

I'm afraid I have no explanation, then, unless you have an add-in loading at
startup that is changing the window size (and that would be a very long
shot).

"Francine" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne. I followed your instructions but couldn't
figure
out
what
to do after I found the template (which was blank).

--

Francine

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the

Print
Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try
works.
How
can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Francine

Sigh. No add in.
What would happen if I reinstall Word over my current program? Would it
change any of my other settings? Or, do you think this is more of a Windows
XP thing?

--

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in the
Print
Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try
works.
How
can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

Francine

Suzanne-
I just posted in another newsgroup and one "solution" is to press down the
shift key when closing Word and that usually keeps the memory of the program
opening as it was when it was closed. I don't know. I'll give it a try. I
think it only needs to be done once. I'll let you know if it works.

--

"Francine" wrote in message
When I open the program the view automatically opens in

the
Print
Layout
view. I want it to open in Normal view, but nothing I try
works.
How
can
get it to open automatically in the Normal view?

--

Francine

In typing dates in Word, i.e. "January 12" how do you keep the "1. Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 08:09 PM
Problem in the Relationship between Outlook 2003 & Word 2003 Chris Marsh Microsoft Word Help 2 January 11th 05 06:01 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM
Word 2003 hangs while opening a document with turkish symbols Olma Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 04 07:50 PM