John R. Baker

Default Find and Replace

I have a document with ONE space after each sentence. I would like to use
"Find and Replace" to change the single space to TWO spaces.

This is an easy problem for a human brain, but I'm not sure how to get
everything I want (and Not get what I DON'T want) with "Find and Replace".

Example BEFO
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally the last.

Example AFTER:
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally the
last.

Is there an easy way to do this? My document is over 60 pages long.

Thanks!

- John R. Baker

Graham Mayor

With the wildcard option set replace
([.\?\!])( )([! ])
with
\1\2\2\3

This will replace any single space after a period, question mark or
exclamation mark with a double space.
You should copy and paste the strings from here so you get the correct
number or spaces in the first string.

John R. Baker wrote:
I have a document with ONE space after each sentence. I would like
to use "Find and Replace" to change the single space to TWO spaces.

This is an easy problem for a human brain, but I'm not sure how to get
everything I want (and Not get what I DON'T want) with "Find and
Replace".

Example BEFO
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally the
last.

Example AFTER:
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally
the last.

Is there an easy way to do this? My document is over 60 pages long.

Thanks!

- John R. Baker

John R. Baker

Thank you for your reply.

My question was sent as a "New Post" and not a "Reply Group". I originally
thought the message got lost since I couldn't find it as a new thread. I'm
using Outlook Express, and this may be a bug in the way Outlook Express
handles messages, since it appears to me as a reply in a thread that was
started by "Island Girl" on 11/08/2004. Either that, or I don't fully
understand how newsgroups work. In any case, sorry for the repost, and
thanks again for your response.

- John R. Baker

John R. Baker wrote:
I have a document with ONE space after each sentence. I would like
to use "Find and Replace" to change the single space to TWO spaces.

This is an easy problem for a human brain, but I'm not sure how to get
everything I want (and Not get what I DON'T want) with "Find and
Replace".

Example BEFO
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally the
last.

Example AFTER:
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally
the last.

Is there an easy way to do this? My document is over 60 pages long.

Thanks!

- John R. Baker

Steve Hayes

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:12:35 -0600, "John R. Baker"
wrote:

I have a document with ONE space after each sentence. I would like to use
"Find and Replace" to change the single space to TWO spaces.

This is an easy problem for a human brain, but I'm not sure how to get
everything I want (and Not get what I DON'T want) with "Find and Replace".

Example BEFO
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally the last.

Example AFTER:
Sentence one. The second sentence. Here's the third. And finally the
last.

Is there an easy way to do this? My document is over 60 pages long.

I quite often do it the other way - look for two spaces and reduce them to
one.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to reverse the process.

In the Find box type . and press the space bar once.

In the replace box type . and press the space bar twice.

It might need an additional step, though:

In the Find box presa . and press the space bar three times.

In the replace box type . and press the space bar twice.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
Greg Maxey

With 60 pages there is a good chance you might alread have a few double
spaces already inserted and a simple find .space and replace with
..spacespace may induce a few errors. Using a wildcard search you could find
..space([!space]) and replace with .spacespace\1

This would find any period, single space, and any adjacent character except
another period and replace with .spacespace(and that character).

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support