DocA

Default export comments?

Is there any way to export comments in an editable format without copying
each individual comment?

I want to strip all the comments from a doc and put them in another doc.

Tx

adrian

Shauna Kelly

Hi

Yes, you can do this, as follows.

1. First, some preliminaries. Do File Print. At the top of that dialog, in
the Name list, do you have "Generic / Text Only" as an option? If so, then
continue. If not, then do Start Settings Printers and Faxes (or similar
commands, depending on your version of Windows). Choose to Add a printer.
When you get to the list of manufacturers, find Generic, and choose the
"Generic / Text only" printer.

2. If you have Word 2000 or before, choose File Print. In the "Print what"
box, choose Comments. If you have Word 2002 or later and you only want
comments, and your document also holds track changes, then do the following.
File Save As to make a copy of the document. Using the copy, accept all
the tracked changes (which will retain the comments). Then, File Print. In
the "Print What" box, choose "List of markup".

3. You're at the Print dialog, right? At the top of that dialog, in the Name
drop-down list, choose Generic / Text Only. Tick "Print to file" and click
OK. Word will now ask you for a file name, and it will then "print" the
comments to a new document with the file name you chose. It's a good idea to
use a .doc extension (eg "MyComments.doc"). You can then open the file it
created and edit it like any Word document.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"DocA" wrote in message
Is there any way to export comments in an editable format without copying
each individual comment?

I want to strip all the comments from a doc and put them in another doc.

Tx

adrian

Elizabeth

In message , Shauna Kelly
writes
Hi

Yes, you can do this, as follows.

[details snipped, but saved]

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Shauna,

I hope your response helped the original poster (Adrian). I can
certainly say it's been of great help to me. I did know it was possible
to print more than just the document, but I didn't know it was possible
to get aspects of the doc, such as comments, into an editable form. In
my case, it's hundreds of autotext entries that I've accumulated, and
which need to be tidied up quite considerably. Being able to edit on
screen in a single Word document is extremely useful.

Very many thanks for this brilliant piece of advice!

--
Elizabeth